What are these bugs?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by Wolfdaddy posted 04-23-2015 07:04 PM 959 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Wolfdaddy's profile


300 posts in 1981 days

04-23-2015 07:04 PM

I have a little outdoor table I have been tasked with replacing the top. Today I was looking at it and found these tiny little bugs, they kind of look like beetles. I don’t know what they are and I’m hoping they’re not wood eaters, but I’m afraid they probably are. The table in question is now outside.
This is in Florida.

-- "MOM! I think there's something under our house! I'm gonna need a jackhammer, a fish bowl, some air tanks, and maybe a few pipes."

2 replies so far

View Ocelot's profile


2076 posts in 2785 days

#1 posted 04-23-2015 07:30 PM

If you get a $40 child’s USB microscope and take some photos of 1 bug, somebody here would probably be able to identify.

View WDHLT15's profile


1780 posts in 2623 days

#2 posted 04-24-2015 12:59 AM

Ambrosia beetles or powderpost beetles. Hope that it is ambrosia beetles. If you slice open a tunnel, ambrosia beetle tunnels will be open and clear with debris, and the walls will be black lined from a fungus.

If it is powderpost beetles, the tunnels will be filled with fine sawdust (frass), and the tunnels will not be black lined. If it is powderpost beetles, and you are replacing the top, burn the wood.

-- Danny Located in Perry, GA. Forester. Wood-Mizer LT40HD35 Sawmill. Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics