walnut acid reaction

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by ccpanel posted 06-25-2009 03:09 AM 1942 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ccpanel's profile


28 posts in 3299 days

06-25-2009 03:09 AM

not sure if this is right category but that black walnut tree i felled last week-totally burned my arms.

i had NO idea it had such massive amounts of acid. i got what amounts to a ‘poison oak’ type rash with the itching and so forth. its like a BAD BAD BAD sunburn. swelling… 4-5 days of “fun”

BTW-last time i ever cut a walnut tree down!

i have logs and pieces of wood i am willing to cut out of the logs but no more live trees!
send requests directly to me.

just a warning though-wear long sleeves and wash immediatly after cutting! OUCH!

i would show pics but… you dont wanna see. it also stained the edges of my hands black/yellow DAYS after i was done cutting. the stains showed up AFTER several days. not immediatly.

2 replies so far

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile


603 posts in 3831 days

#1 posted 06-25-2009 03:16 AM

As a suggestion there is a product that you can wash down with after being exposed to any type of poison oak/ivy plant. You can also take peroxide and wash down in the shower as soon as you finish cutting or are exposed to any of these nasty plants or trees. I have bad reactions to all these and a doctor friend suggested the above to me and it works. Old farm remedy if you already have poison ivy is to soak Fels Naptha soap in water until it is soft and rub it on all the affected areas. The soap will pull the poison out and dry up all the sores. Hope your recovery is quick.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

View ccpanel's profile


28 posts in 3299 days

#2 posted 06-26-2009 03:49 AM

in my case i dont have poison oak. i washed but the burning had already happened… =( so its like a chemical burn and i just had to wait ti out. it didnt come to any boils or anything like that just a massivly serious burn like a horribly bad sunburn but no skin sloughed off.
took about 2-3 days for reaction to start after last contact then 3-4 days to subside

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics