Play "Name That Tool!"

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Glenn posted 06-11-2009 04:47 PM 1229 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Glenn's profile


141 posts in 3381 days

06-11-2009 04:47 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I admit to buying cheap, Asian-made tools wherever possible. Problem is the manuals are often factually-erroneous, grammatically incorrect, or downright incomplete. Below are two parts left over after assembly of two power tools, and I’m hoping someone can identify them and/or tell me their purpose. The fork is shown for reference. The first:


is from a Ryobi drill press. The manual lists it as a “chuck tool” in the diagram of loose parts, but I can’t find any further reference to its purpose. Any ideas?

The second tool is from a 6” Harbor Freight jointer:


I can’t find this thing listed anywhere in the manual. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I assume it has something to do with the cutterhead…

-- Glenn, Arkansas

10 replies so far

View PurpLev's profile


8535 posts in 3642 days

#1 posted 06-11-2009 04:58 PM

I think the fork is used for eating purposes…. I’ve seen it in some restaurants.

The first part “chuck tool” ?!? maybe you chuck it in the tool ? I cant really tell. lol

but the 2nd part looks like it’s used to set the blades in the cutterhead. kind of a handle to hold the blade as you put it in and lock it. would that make sense?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View patron's profile


13603 posts in 3335 days

#2 posted 06-11-2009 05:01 PM

the first is a chuck remover , or quill remover ,
put it in slot over chuck and tap with hammer to remove chuck from spindle .

the second is a knife setting stop , when you put knives back in machine use it to adjust the knifes
to same hieght , ( they are washboard close , as the knifes tend to drift when you tighten lugs , do so evenly ,
kind of like tightening lug nuts on a tire , little by little on each one ) .

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View bayspt's profile


292 posts in 3698 days

#3 posted 06-11-2009 05:04 PM

I am assuming you have a DP with a morise taper lock chuck. This “tool” (or a screw driver or other instrument) is inserted in the slot in the spindel and used to “pry” the chuck out of the morise taper.
Move the spindel down and you should see the “slot”. on the other I guess I’m with PurpLev since I have no clue.

-- Jimmy, Oklahoma "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear!"

View Glenn's profile


141 posts in 3381 days

#4 posted 06-11-2009 06:05 PM

Both of those procedures sound very scary. I think I’ll put them off for as long as possible. Thanks for the advice…

-- Glenn, Arkansas

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

716 posts in 3612 days

#5 posted 06-11-2009 06:18 PM

Hey Glenn,

How about a review of the tools once you get them up and running? I’m sure there are other Lumberjocks who don’t use a particular tool that ofen and would entertain buying a less expensive version. We all know that Powermatic and Sawstop make good tools.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View rtb's profile


1101 posts in 3707 days

#6 posted 06-11-2009 06:23 PM

Actually removing the chuck is just as simple as it sounds as the chuck is just held in place by pressure.

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

View bayspt's profile


292 posts in 3698 days

#7 posted 06-11-2009 06:27 PM

Yea the chuck is easy, setting Jointer knives however, is a exercise in paitence.

-- Jimmy, Oklahoma "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear!"

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2718 posts in 3280 days

#8 posted 06-11-2009 07:27 PM

Setting jointer knives can also be a test of your religion!!!!!!!!!


View FEDSAWDAVE's profile


293 posts in 3426 days

#9 posted 06-12-2009 01:10 AM

You won’t need to worry about removing any chucks. The Chinese crap will eventually just fall off…

-- David,

View AdamThorpe's profile


13 posts in 3284 days

#10 posted 06-26-2009 12:45 AM

the actual name of the first tool is called a drift

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics