|Forum topic by Gwjames||posted 02-27-2015 05:44 PM||894 views||0 times favorited||6 replies|
02-27-2015 05:44 PM
goooooood morning jocks!!!!
ok, so, in the near future (probably some time this summer) I plan to build myself a new work bench. currently by bench is built from a few 2×4’s and some crappy plywood. what I want in my head I have yet to see anywhere before and maybe because its a big compilation of all the things that I have seen. I want a work bench that is:
1. a work bench, obviously, I want it to have a 8/4 to 12/4 top made from hard maple for durability, I realize this is price, but go big or go home right? I also want it to have some of the things I see on many of your work benches, like a wood vise, bench dogs, ect.
at this point my bench starts to differ from traditional. my shop is my garage and I don’t have a whole lot of space for multiple tables so:
2. a run out table. I have found this is crucial for everything I do on my table saw, if for no other reason that for safety, I don’t want to have TS guides cut into it, but large enough and low enough to run stock off of my saw onto the bench.
3. an assembly table, my current bench is 46”x60” and that is what I want to stay with. somewhere I can lay out and assemble my entire furniture project.
4. and this may sound dumb, but I also use my garage/woodshop as a hang out on the weekends when my buddies come by the house. so I also use my bench as kind of a bar to sit around when there is a lot of people over.
5. I place to stain my project, which this is easy, with it being a nice wood top, I will just cover it with something before I place the project on top, I don’t want stain on my maple lol
6. I want it to have a shelf for all of my scrap wood. again, that’s pretty simple
I think I want a walnut base, really only for cosmetics. I am pretty much in love with how walnut looks in contrast to maple.
let me know what you guys think, do I want too much out of one work bench? I have never seen a typical woodworkers bench at the size I mentioned, I think it is feasible though… thanks guys!!