Dust Hood Port Size: finding nozzle that fits

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by NoSpace posted 02-21-2015 12:46 AM 894 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View NoSpace's profile


127 posts in 1266 days

02-21-2015 12:46 AM

I have a couple questions related to getting a vacuum hose hooked up to the dust hood on various tools.

So, I bought a standard 7’ Rigid 2 1/2 ” vacuum hose and the connecter that comes with it slips into the dust port on my DeWalt contractor table saw and my Craftsman bandsaw nice and snug. I’m kind of thinking the hose is supposed to connect outside, but this should be good enough.

But then I have a Porter Cable jointer (160) I just bought—haven’t tried it yet—but no attachment I have fits in or over it. I went to Lowes and grabbed a shop-vac hose and took it over to the jointer and it didn’t seem like any of those connecters fit either.

So what am I missing here? What’s the right way to connect to a dust port?

Also, I bought a used de walt planer, and it has a 4” port on the hood. I’m guessing it’s the same size as the newer model at Lowes, which has a reducer to 2 1/2 inches (and the shop vac gear didn’t fit that either), and I could order one online. I am curious though where one would get a 4” vacuum hose? Order online?

7 replies so far

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

4999 posts in 2519 days

#1 posted 02-21-2015 12:52 PM

My first rule of DC is that nothing ever fits, and you cobble together whatever you can to get a connection. (Side note, put a 4” hose on your vac and you will likely be extremely disappointed with what happens, similar to the results of putting a small hose on a DC.) Anyway, go to the plumbing section and look for whatever you can find that will connect the 2. Don’t overlook the other stuff you may need duct tape, wooden donuts, whatever. You can buy some adapters, but they generally cost quite a bit and aren’t readily available. Back to the 4” hose, vacs are made to move small amounts of air at very high static pressure (resistance to flow). Put a 4” hose on one and it still moves that small amount of air, but it’s through a 4” hose so it’s moving much more slowly. A DC is the opposite…it moves huge volumes of air, but at low SP….so it needs the larger connection to allow that flow.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View TheDane's profile


5441 posts in 3689 days

#2 posted 02-21-2015 01:18 PM

Fred is right … if you find one that actually fits, run right out and buy a lottery ticket.

I have had some success with Rockler’s Dust Right stuff on 4”, but not with the shop vacuum size hoses. Rubber couplings from the plumbing department at Menards have come in pretty handy.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View ChefHDAN's profile


1067 posts in 2875 days

#3 posted 02-21-2015 02:01 PM

I got a set of these adapters from woorworkers supply when I set up my system and so far I’ve been able to fit most all of my hoses to my equipment with the occasional wrap of duct tape to tighten up a friction fit

-- I've decided 1 mistake is really 2 opportunities to learn.. learn how to fix it... and learn how to not repeat it

View Redoak49's profile


3283 posts in 2014 days

#4 posted 02-21-2015 02:50 PM

This is one of the most annoying issues in the shop…nothing fits and it is often difficult to find “actual” dimensions.

Recently, I have made some of my own adapters using a hole drill and a spindle sander. The alternate is using a lathe.

Between dust collection fittings, vacuum fittings, special tool fittings it is a mess. This is a an important topic in protecting our lungs especially with things like Sanders which produce very fine dust.

View NoSpace's profile


127 posts in 1266 days

#5 posted 02-21-2015 03:49 PM

You guys get me every time. The “dust right” mentioned is 219$, I have a rockler 5 minutes from where I work, and reviewers are giving it props for low noise and it’s small. It fits all my criteria, except at 12 amps I’d probably need to run another circuit.

I bought a Fein Turbo 1 (due to high ratings for low noise), and I’ve built a dust/chip collector with a bucket and “plumbing parts” (as mentioned), I haven’t tried it on a tool due to time constraints but all fits snug. Was hoping there were standardized parts out there I’m missing – guess not.

Anyway, forgetting about the planer for a moment, for anyone who has any insight here, what is going to work better for my table saw and band saw, my Turbo 1 or that “Dust Right”? I’m having trouble thinking through the tradeoffs between CFM and SP. My Fein has 151 CFM and the Dust Right 650. But Fred mentions if I put a small hose on the Dust Right (for my R/O sander let’s say) it won’t work well. But I have a small contractor saw and 10” band saw, and both have 2 1/2 inch ports, so is stepping down the 4” hose on the Dust Right to those 2 1/2 inch ports going to erase the benefit over and above my Fein?

View TheDane's profile


5441 posts in 3689 days

#6 posted 02-21-2015 07:09 PM

The “dust right” mentioned is 219$ ...

Just so there is no misunderstanding … I wasn’t talking about Rockler’s wall-mount dust collector. My reference was to the dust collection fittings system they have.

FWIW, I had a portable dust collector similar to their wall-mount … sold it to a guy on CraigsList when I bought my Jet DC. The portable I had (ProTech) clogged easily, put a lot of fine dust right back into the air, and was a PITA to empty.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View bbasiaga's profile


1234 posts in 2021 days

#7 posted 02-21-2015 07:20 PM

What you want for dust collection at the source of the dust is air velocity, which equates to CFM. Blowers like on a DC or shop vac produce more static pressure when moving less air, and less static pressure when moving more air.

Putting the small hose on the dust right means it takes more static pressure to move a given amount of air through there than a larger hose. Consequently it will move less air. A 4” hose with a 2” adapter fitting will generally cause less of a static pressure than a long 2” hose going to a like size fitting. Meaning that it would be best to use a 4” hose and fitting to connect to your 2” dust port. Without having the fan curve for the dust right, I’m guessing it will still move more air than the Fein under those conditions. 650 CFM is 4x the Fein’s flow, and unless the fan curve is very steep for the Dust Right it will probably not drop off that far with just one extra reducer.

In general, more air flow is always better than less air flow, as the higher the air velocity the more and finer dust particles it can catch. So the Dust Right will work better. But will the Fein be good enough? Test it and find out. If you research how much air flow you need, you will find very opinionated articles saying that you need a very large, very powerful system. That would be good, but is costly and space consuming. Back up whatever you have with a good dust mask.


-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics