Carpet Tape??

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Dano posted 08-05-2007 04:08 AM 2825 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Dano's profile


222 posts in 3998 days

08-05-2007 04:08 AM

I keep seeing the use of double sided carpet tape to temporary attach templates to work pieces for routing etc. I went to the box stores and all I could find was a fiber reinforced thick gummy tape. What I have seen on TV looks to be thinner without any reenforcement, so what is it and where do I get some?

-- Dan in Central Oklahoma, Able to turn good wood into saw dust in the blink of an eye!

8 replies so far

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

3809 posts in 3987 days

#1 posted 08-05-2007 04:15 AM

Dano, I use both types.
The gummy type works well with larger pieces that could come loose and the thin white stuff works with templates and the like.
I don’t see you having a major problem using just the thicker stuff.
I got both at a carpet and tile place.
I try not to shop at the borgs. ( personal preference)


-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

14171 posts in 3949 days

#2 posted 08-05-2007 04:15 AM

I buy mine from walmart. lowes probably has some too.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Buckskin's profile


486 posts in 3953 days

#3 posted 08-05-2007 04:26 AM

You might avoid the big box stores and go to specialty carpet and flooring store.

View Karson's profile


35111 posts in 4366 days

#4 posted 08-05-2007 04:28 AM

The thin stuff is like a piece of plastic with glue on both sides. It is usually the cheapest one you can find. The one with fibers is a better holder. More permanent.

Try five and dime stoors or dollar stores. Thats usually the only kind they carry.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia †

View Hawgnutz's profile


526 posts in 4042 days

#5 posted 08-05-2007 06:31 AM

I use the thicker double-sided tape I bought at walmart for pattern routing. the wider gap helps me to space the bearing and the cutting edge. I bought the double-sided tape at Walmart.
I also use some carpet tape that I got at Lowes or Home Depot It is thinner and holds the pattern and project together real well. But. Like Buckskin and other say, you can always find some at a carpert store.

God Bless,

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

View Dano's profile


222 posts in 3998 days

#6 posted 08-06-2007 01:51 AM

Thanks folks, Wally world had some of the thinner stuff I was looking for.

Hawgnutz, I already bought some of the thicker tape too, thinking it was thinner. I want to make a couple zero clearance inserts for the table saw and will use it like you suggest to space the original plate and the piece I am working on.

-- Dan in Central Oklahoma, Able to turn good wood into saw dust in the blink of an eye!

View Drew's profile


19 posts in 4042 days

#7 posted 08-06-2007 03:52 AM

I found some good carpet tape in the flooring section of Home Despot. It works pretty good but its kind of hard to peel off the backing, A good x-acto blade helps.

-- What would Marc do?

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

4444 posts in 3928 days

#8 posted 08-06-2007 05:05 AM

I use doublesided tape from Woodcraft. I hold templates and use it to set drawer fronts on cabinets. It’s good enough that I hold the wooden jaw guards in my vise jaws with it. I never stop thinking up new ways to use it.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics