Does anyone know the name of this type of hinge?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by edwood1975 posted 01-26-2015 06:56 PM 1297 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View edwood1975's profile


680 posts in 1121 days

01-26-2015 06:56 PM

Im working on a project

that I need a solution to, someone recommended this type of hinge and I am looking for more information on it, to see if its my solution….

Thanks Forum

-- Ed

10 replies so far

View MakerofSawdust's profile


35 posts in 2394 days

#1 posted 01-26-2015 07:04 PM

Looks like what I would call a gate hinge. You would “hang” a swinging gate on the hinge pin.

-- - Kevin from Cincinnati. All my work is guaranteed: Three minutes or three feet; whichever comes first.

View edwood1975's profile


680 posts in 1121 days

#2 posted 01-26-2015 07:09 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for responding.. Im working on a project.. that someone recommended this for…

click the link for the other forum topic as it explains in more detail what Im trying to do….


It is a gate hinge but its a particular gate hinge im looking for the name….

-- Ed

View JayT's profile


5409 posts in 1989 days

#3 posted 01-26-2015 07:14 PM

Pintle and strap hinge, the pintle is the post that the strap slide onto. Around here, most people just call them lift off hinges. There are a bunch of different configurations available for the pintle, you’d just have to hunt for the right one.

-- In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson

View bobro's profile


319 posts in 1089 days

#4 posted 01-26-2015 07:15 PM

It’s certainly a kind of gate hinge as MakerofSawdust said, but I don’t know if there’s a more specific name for that exact kind.

Usually when people do some kind “yee olde” look they use an ornate strap hinge, but in the very many old gates and doors I’ve seen, the kind you’ve got pictured is more common. Notice that you can lift off the gate with that hinge.

edit- oh, JayT posted as I was typing

-- Lao Ma: You are so full of anger and hatred. Xena: Everybody's gotta be full of something.

View MrUnix's profile


5793 posts in 1977 days

#5 posted 01-26-2015 07:38 PM

Looks like a typical strap hinge.. except for the pintles, which are usually “L” shaped screws that go into the gate post.. only difference is those are surface mounted instead. You can get them at the borg, such as these:

They are galvanized, but you can paint them any color you want.


-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View bobro's profile


319 posts in 1089 days

#6 posted 01-26-2015 07:52 PM

you can see your kind of hinge in a picture here-

these are all over this part of the world

I wouldn’t call it a strap hinge because at least for medival doors, your usual strap hinge is mounted onto a wooden frame within the stone arch, while this particular hinge is usually mortared into the wall, as you can see in the picture in the link.

-- Lao Ma: You are so full of anger and hatred. Xena: Everybody's gotta be full of something.

View redryder's profile


2393 posts in 2880 days

#7 posted 01-26-2015 08:16 PM

These look like cool hinges.
If different is what your looking for, you may like this place.
They send out fat and free catalogs that are always fun to browse through…...................

-- mike...............

View putty's profile


1127 posts in 1385 days

#8 posted 01-26-2015 08:29 PM

Looks like a gate hinge to me, If you have a tractor supply near you they will have some.

-- Putty

View gfadvm's profile


14940 posts in 2468 days

#9 posted 01-27-2015 01:30 AM

The ones I recommended on the other thread have threads on the pin ( think L shaped lag bolt) rather than a mounting plate. Thus you can attach them to corners or flats on your post.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View jerryminer's profile


751 posts in 1219 days

#10 posted 01-27-2015 07:13 AM

If you Google “pintle hinge” or “shutter hinge” you will find lots of examples and sources

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics