• Advertise with us

« back to Safety in the Woodworking Shop forum

Forum topic by LocalMac posted 03-19-2009 04:00 AM 1212 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View LocalMac's profile


281 posts in 3427 days

03-19-2009 04:00 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I recently dug up some old plywood that was left in a corner of my friends basement. They were nice large sheets and I didn’t want them to go to waste. However, I noticed when I lifted them off the ground that mold had grown on the surfaces. It’s a dark color and penetrated into the wood. You wouldn’t know it’s there by feeling it but you can definitely see it. I put a good mask on and sanded it but that didn’t help at all. Is there something I can put on it to make the wood usable or am I better off throwing it? I’d really like to save it because there’s quite a bit of it.

-- Don't tell her I'm in the shop!

7 replies so far

View Bureaucrat's profile


18339 posts in 3673 days

#1 posted 03-19-2009 04:12 AM

I have a walk out basement that is about 1/2 framed and 1/2 concrete. Imagine my despair when, in the house’s 2nd winter, I discovered that 60% of the sheathing was molded. I had mold remediation guys in. They told me to never use bleach, it just cleans the surface.
The sanded the sheathing and sprayed it with coribundum (or something similarly named, available at Home Depot).

Down side it still is black where it was molded badly. I ended up painting it with Kilz before I reinsulated.

-- Gary D. Stoughton, WI

View Blake's profile


3443 posts in 3896 days

#2 posted 03-20-2009 10:40 PM

Cut off the part with the mold, then let the rest get bone dry before using.

-- Happy woodworking!

View childress's profile


841 posts in 3563 days

#3 posted 03-23-2009 05:53 PM

I would at least try a little section with bleach. If you let it penetrate some, it will kill everything. I think the mold remediation guys tell you that for job security.

If the stain doesn’t go away, it’s not because the mold is still there, it’s because the mold stained the wood.

-- Childress Woodworks

View SnowyRiver's profile


51457 posts in 3502 days

#4 posted 03-24-2009 04:12 PM

You should be commended for trying to rescue the wood. I dont mess around with mold. If something has mold, I destroy it. I keep reading stuff about mold and that its nearly impossible to get rid of it. I even read that bleach doesnt do it either that the spores lay dormant for months or years. Think I would just throw it.

-- Wayne - Plymouth MN

View Eddy's profile


25 posts in 3381 days

#5 posted 03-24-2009 04:17 PM

Try mold control Home Depot stuff. I used it and it worked on a bathroom ceiling as well as on walls behind trim. Also controlling the moisture level while doing it.

-- Edward

View treeman's profile


208 posts in 3471 days

#6 posted 03-24-2009 05:24 PM

I had some moldy plywood and got it cleaned up very nicely. I bought some Mold Armor at Home Depot and sprayed it on. The black virtually disappeared within minutes. For the few spots remaining, I used a scrub brush and it came fight off. I then rinsed with clean water and a damp rag. This stuff is supposed to kill and prevent mold from returning.

View LocalMac's profile


281 posts in 3427 days

#7 posted 03-25-2009 02:25 AM

Thanks for the advice. i appreciate your help.

-- Don't tell her I'm in the shop!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics