What should I use under a table top when finishing?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by jmakinst posted 12-29-2014 02:14 AM 732 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View jmakinst's profile


12 posts in 3443 days

12-29-2014 02:14 AM

Topic tags/keywords: finishing tip question

I just finished making a kitchen table top out of cherry. I am planning to use Zinser’s Sealcoat shellac followed by several coats of Polyurethane.

One big question I have is what do people put under their work when finishing it?

For lighter, smaller pieces, I’ve used 3 foot pieces of wood cut into 1 inch triangles. However, for something as heavy as this top, I worry about lines in the finish as I go, let alone the wood.

What do you use? Suggestions for under a 35 X 66 X 5/4 inch table top?


1 reply so far

View bondogaposis's profile


4680 posts in 2314 days

#1 posted 12-29-2014 02:25 AM

Run some screws through small blocks of wood and balance it on those.

-- Bondo Gaposis

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics