|Forum topic by ScottKaye||posted 12-27-2014 05:09 PM||3510 views||0 times favorited||39 replies|
12-27-2014 05:09 PM
_This was originally posted just after Christmas. I wanted to show everyone how the fix went! _
So I built my daughter a Doll House for her American Girl dolls. If you know anything about American Girl dolls you know they are LARGE as in almost 1/4 scale LARGE! So a three story Doll house stands right at 6 fee tall.
And that is my dilemma. I built this Doll House with out thinking how I was going to get it upstairs into my daughters room. If I had a straight shot into her room the Doll House would have no problem fitting through her 30” door as the overall dimensions are approx. 6’ x 6 ‘x2 feet wide. Of course, its not a straight shot into her room. It’s a 180 degree turn off the stairs to get into her room.. the landing/hallway is 40” wide so I have very little room to get the house upstairs and turned around to even attempt to fit through my daughters door way. In fact, we had to go over the bannister at the top of the stairs to get it on the landing/hallway. Sadly after all that work, it doesn’t even come close to fitting through her bedroom door. Now my wife and my daughter are not happy with me.
So my options are
2.) Remove the trim and door frame to my daughters room. Id probably have to remove the king and jack studs as well which is way more work than I want to get into when it comes time to putting it all back together and all the finish and painting work . Besides, once the doll house makes it into my daughters room there would be no way to get it out when she’s outgrown it with out deconstructing the door again.
3.) Leave it where it lays in the family room so we can have her entire catalog of American Girl doll furniture, clothes. pets and other miscellaneous items strewn all over the place so the dog has something to chew on and we have something to trip over… NOT!!
4.) Finally finish the basement. But then, that’s pretty silly to spend upwards of 5k to do it on the cheap and 15k to do it the way we want to do it just because a doll house doesn’t fit in my daughters room!
5.) I could cut the top room off the doll house and that is my question to you guys.
What is the best method to accomplish this? Id like to have a tear out free, ultra smooth cut as I plan on resembling the top portion to the bottom portion by using dowels. Gluing the two section back together is not an option as again, there would be no way to remove the house from the room. I figured I could use one of these
They have really great reviews on Amazon and our touted as having tear out free cuts on both sides of the wood/plywood. (upcut/downcut)
I can use a guide set up similar to this to cut a straight line
Before I got serious about cutting off the top of the doll house (no woodworker wants to cut up their creation!!) I built a stick figure of the bottom section to see if It was possible to get the bottom section into the her bedroom.
VOILA! Plenty of room now. More than enough room in fact to accommodate for the 2” stub where the top section will get cut off from the bottom section.
I considered other methods to cut the top off including a sawzall.. NOT FOR FINE WORK
A smallish 19.2volt craftsman trim saw. (again not super precise as there is quite a bit of back and forth slop (side to side) at the carriage bolt that holds the blade to the tool.
I can get a pretty decent cut I think with the jigsaw as long as I tape both sides of the wood to help prevent any minimal tear out. Basically the only item I may have to replace is the back 1/4” birch plywood and that is only if I can remove it cleanly from the rabbet as its glued and stapled in place.
So I think I’m on the right track here, but I am open to other ideas.
Thanks a bunch.
Well, I’m out of the dog house and my little girl is finally getting to enjoy her Doll house in her own room! I just wanted to thank everyone for their helpful ideas. They were really appreciated and I was able to hide the cut seem much better than the idea I was originally going to go with. Thank you!
I originally was going to use the pull saw method but then I remembered that I had glued and brad nailed the top left wall support from underneath. I ended up using a Dremel Multi-tool with a Bi-metal flush cut blade that went well enough, though I should have practiced with the tool on a scrap piece first before I took it right to the doll house. I’m glad I cut the left side first since I ended up butchering the first cut (back left) I was so worried about scratching through the painters tape I used to cover the stained floor, that I didn’t pay enough attention to the actual cutting process and the blade wandered vertically. No worries though as that seem is hidden by the 1/4 round and it is not noticeable at all. So by the time I got over to the money cut on the right, I had the knack of the tool down and everything went according to plan as the cut ended up being smooth as a baby’s bottom!!
And the two pieces separated
You can’t see the butchered section with the 1/4 round in place!
Seem on the side and front. I may still attached a piece of molding to totally hide the seem, but my wife and daughters all say its fine the way it is.
And finally, the completed project with some lights we found on the web. The kit only allows for 4 puck style lights so we chose to light the 4 rooms in the main cabinet. Its has quite a nice effect.
thanks for hanging with me!
-- "Nothing happens until you build it"