I’m working on a federal period card table following a guide from Steve Latta and wanted to get your opinions on finishes for the piece. Here are a couple of options. Please let me know what you think or if you have any better ideas. One concern I have is the apron is crotch mahogany and I know it will be a lot darker than the legs. I wonder how I can blend them.
1. Latta suggests doing a golden stain so that holly doesn’t stand out so much. Followed by shellac and then a orange shellac. I’m a bit worried that the holly might become too golden unless I find a good stain I can cut.
2. I tested some scrap doing boiled linseed and then shellac over. It worked out well but only barely colored the holly. I’m worried that maybe I need to blend the holly more.
3. I tested some scrap with arm-r-seal and it is almost comparible to the BLO. I’m wondering if this would be a good base finish followed by shellac since it will pop the grain more and provide a better finish.
4. Put a base coat of potassium dichromate followed by shellac. Please don’t go into the dangers of this. I am aware.
5. Any other ideas are welcome as I want to make this look like a period piece.