LumberJocks

Be careful of recharging your batteries

  • Advertise with us

« back to Safety in the Woodworking Shop forum

Forum topic by JimmyC posted 1965 days ago 2437 views 0 times favorited 23 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View JimmyC's profile

JimmyC

106 posts in 1988 days


1965 days ago

Hey All,

I went out in my shop today and went to take my 14.4V DeWalt battery off the charger, when I grabbed it I almost burnt my hand. The battery had gotten so hot that after I pulled the cord and let it cool down, the battery had permanently fused itself to the charger. I’ve read where there have been problems with batteries left too long in the charger, but I’ve never had a problem and this was charging for about 6 days. I usually only leave them overnight, but I forgot about this one. The battery was 4 years old, but I don’t know how old the charger was as I have a couple of them and they all look the same.

Anyway, the good news is that’s as far as it went towards damage. If it got hot enough it may have been able to ignite my bench and from there…..? Now I ‘m off to the store to find a timer for my chargers .

Becareful out there.

-- -JimmyC...Clayton,NC- "Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"


23 replies so far

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

18614 posts in 2747 days


#1 posted 1965 days ago

a great tip re: timer!!
glad that nothing serious happened. Phew!

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View JimmyC's profile

JimmyC

106 posts in 1988 days


#2 posted 1964 days ago

I found out that the charger was on the recall list and brought it into DeWalt and they gave me a new charger and battery immediately. Great Customer Service.

-- -JimmyC...Clayton,NC- "Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave"

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

174 posts in 1973 days


#3 posted 1964 days ago

Thanks for the tip. I have quite a few dewalt cordless tools. I forget about the batteries in the charger overnight all the time. I’ll look into gettin a timer for my charger also. THanKS

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

389 posts in 2328 days


#4 posted 1964 days ago

Just to let you know most rechargeable batteries start developing a memory once they have been left on the charger for about 8 hours, so that would make another reason to take it off the charger. At least the battery didn’t blow up!

-- Tyler, Illinois

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

760 posts in 2266 days


#5 posted 1964 days ago

Hmmm, makes me think I need to see if the DeWalt I have was recalled and I just didn’t know about it. When mine gave out wiht less than 30 charges on it, I gave up on DeWalt products.

I rarely if ever leave my batteries on for much longer than the time needed for charging, but have witnessed HOT batteries from just a few hours on the charger.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

View woodyoda's profile

woodyoda

117 posts in 2043 days


#6 posted 1963 days ago

Wasn’t it dewalt that had a cold charger that would charge any battery? It would charge a dewalt battery in about 15 minutes, without heating the battery. They discontinued it, because it was too good a product, I guess…..yoda

View Chris Wright's profile

Chris Wright

524 posts in 2067 days


#7 posted 1963 days ago

Yeah, I try not to leave my batteries in the charger for more then a day. My dad had an old Porter Cable 14.4v drill and one of the batteries ruptured in the charger. It didn’t blow up and no one got hurt, but needless to say, the battery was worthless after that.

-- "At its best, life is completely unpredictable." - Christopher Walken

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile (online now)

Todd A. Clippinger

8705 posts in 2686 days


#8 posted 1963 days ago

I try to leave my batteries in the charger for only 30 minutes. If I leave the shop or jobsite for lunch, I remove them. Getting the batteries hot also destroys the cells.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View dalec's profile

dalec

613 posts in 2475 days


#9 posted 1963 days ago

I did some research into rechargers and rechargeable AA batteries a couple of years ago. Todd is right, chargers that are not “smart” ones that are programmed to switch over to a tickle charge will continue to operate on full charging mode and will overhead your batteries, shortening the battery life.

I don’t know if I would necessarily assume the “smart” chargers to be any safer or will reliably cut back to a tickle charge. I am usually around while my batteries are in the charger and will take them off the charger as soon as the fully charged light comes on.

The idea of using a timer is a good idea and a nice back up. I can be distracted and get into a task and forget little things like these.

Dalec

View marcb's profile

marcb

762 posts in 2260 days


#10 posted 1963 days ago

Thanks, yet another reason to add to why I stay away from cordless tools

View Blake's profile

Blake

3434 posts in 2460 days


#11 posted 1962 days ago

I’ve been meaning to get a timer for a long time. Besides safety, it also increases battery life. Thanks for the reminder.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8476 posts in 2235 days


#12 posted 1962 days ago

same here marcb. I try to keep myself from anything that uses batteries…

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Karson's profile

Karson

34847 posts in 2987 days


#13 posted 1962 days ago

Woodyoda. i’ve got one of the Dewalt high Tech chargers. But it’s only up to 14 Volts so it won’t work for the newer batteries.

And yes it was about 15 minutes to charge.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware karson_morrison@bigfoot.com †

View MyOldGarage's profile

MyOldGarage

93 posts in 2014 days


#14 posted 1962 days ago

I had a similar experience with a Sears one —but my battery case ballooned out and it deformed the charger. Thankfully the transformer went kaput before more damage was done. Now I have one good (?) battery and no way to charge it. Grr. Leaving them on the charger is my biggest problem . . . I killed a whole set of the Versapack batteries that way. I now just have two “gold” Versapack ones that I keep around because I just can’t give up all my old tools. :D

-- Bradley Miller, Blue Springs, MO - http://myoldgarage.blogspot.com

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

4973 posts in 2299 days


#15 posted 1962 days ago

I remember reading somewhere that the lithium ion batteries have a non-zero risk of over heating even if not being charged. As I understand it it is one of the limitations from stopping Li batteries from being used in larger applications. Were these Li ion batteries or NiCadmium?

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

showing 1 through 15 of 23 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase