What is this material called?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by Speedo posted 12-23-2014 03:39 PM 983 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Speedo's profile


1 post in 1250 days

12-23-2014 03:39 PM

I’m looking for the cardboard/plywood type panels that is used on (ikea) drawers and dressers – the big thin flat panel that you nail on the back. Does anyone know what it’s called?

5 replies so far

View altendky's profile


169 posts in 2209 days

#1 posted 12-23-2014 04:40 PM

The stuff that is shiny on one side, dull on the other, and generally 3/16” or 1/4” is masonite. I think it’s the same as is often used for peg-board, just without the holes. I would expect this as a backing material for a dresser or bookshelf. Thicker stuff in the 1/2” – 3/4” is more likely particle board and in Ikea furniture would have a surfacing material applied to make it white or fake wood or whatever else would be more likely for larger shelves. Medium density fiberboard is probably not what you are looking for but is a finer version of particle board (fibers in MDF vs the small chunks in particle board). On the coarser side you get flake board where the pieces that are glued together are up to several inches long. This is generally not going to be used for furniture I don’t think.

Share a picture for better confirmation.


View bigblockyeti's profile


5120 posts in 1720 days

#2 posted 12-23-2014 04:44 PM

If it’s rough, like the cardboard description you’ve given, it’s most likely Masonite. If it’s darker and harder, then it’s tempered Masonite.

View pintodeluxe's profile


5659 posts in 2812 days

#3 posted 12-23-2014 05:04 PM

Also sometimes called hardboard.

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

View MrRon's profile


4769 posts in 3242 days

#4 posted 12-23-2014 06:17 PM

Masonite is a man made material used for cheaper furniture. It is used for furniture backs and even for drawer bottoms. As a drawer bottom, it is very poor compared to plywood and I would never use it for such.

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3584 days

#5 posted 12-23-2014 06:39 PM

Its age old hardboard that’s what we call it here in the uk. It has been around for along time.It is cheap and cheerful not good really but there are times when it is useful.You are correct in saying it cannot be compared with Plywood.It is not nearly so strong or indeed tough you can tear it like cardboard with both hands if you try.Have fun, and I hope it works out for you.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics