|Forum topic by MarkTheFiddler||posted 12-06-2014 02:28 PM||1015 views||1 time favorited||4 replies|
12-06-2014 02:28 PM
A few weeks ago I shared a very basic sled design with everyone. I am happy with the basic sled but I ran into an issue when planing my sideways Baltic birch.
Please forgive the lack of details in the picture below. You see I have spent several hours sanding the uh-ohs. Most of my problems have been sanded away.
Enough of that. The meat of the issue is that half of the plywood layers are rip cut and the other half are end-grain. The router planning worked beautifully on the rip cut layers. The end-grain is a different story. Those layers sustained micro tear outs. Once again, I have been sanding out those tear-outs for hours.
This first picture is attempt to display some of the tear out pits.
This second picture shows the striped results of the tear out. Again, hours of sanding.
Perhaps I should have made a very long sled to plane lengthwise, but that just doesn’t seem practical. Maybe the best thing to do is hand plane. Perhaps, I should have raised the router bit 1/32 of an inch and sanded away the last bit. I think my best option would have been to go to Wood World in Dallas and run the desk top through their monster planer for a fee.
Sometimes I learn from you all and other times….
-- Thanks for all the lessons!