Is this what I think it is?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Tim posted 12-01-2014 01:07 AM 1191 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Tim's profile


3683 posts in 1800 days

12-01-2014 01:07 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question whatsit

I think this thing is for making custom hose clamps before hose clamps were easy to get. Am I on the right track? It looks like as you twist the large nut on the left the side then the head of the bolt on the right puts more pressure on the wire then when it’s tight enough you bend and cut off the extra wire. The oddest part is there were 7 of them in the 3 carpenters tool chests I’ve finally gotten around to cleaning out. I can’t figure out why someone would need 7. Sorry about the lighting in the picture. If it’s too hard to see I can take another.

Any more info or a name for it would be appreciated too.

Here’s a close up picture with a little better light.

7 replies so far

View Handtooler's profile (online now)


1489 posts in 1970 days

#1 posted 12-01-2014 01:51 AM

Really odd fixture! What’s it?

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343

View bobro's profile


319 posts in 1149 days

#2 posted 12-02-2014 02:26 PM

I’d also guess that it’s a tool for hard-banding pipe or something along those lines. Looking forward to a definitive answer.

-- Lao Ma: You are so full of anger and hatred. Xena: Everybody's gotta be full of something.

View Tim's profile


3683 posts in 1800 days

#3 posted 12-06-2014 06:39 PM

I guess that’s what it has to be but it’s definitely a little odd. The “pipe” it’s on right now is piece of something like old hardened rubber with a wooden dowel through the middle. Not sure what that would be for either or why they were cut off at that length. There were two like that and five more with nothing.

View MrRon's profile


4496 posts in 3082 days

#4 posted 12-06-2014 07:11 PM

One simple answer would be The person had a factory or worked in a factory where those tools were being used and when the plant closed down, the 7 tools came into possession of the one person.

View bold1's profile


283 posts in 1686 days

#5 posted 12-06-2014 07:50 PM

I’m guessing, as I’ve never seen any like this. But could they be to tension wire form ties, for concrete forms? Wire was run thru holes in both sides of the form and tightened to keep the form from bulging? Wooden forms was a carpenter’s job.

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5845 posts in 3424 days

#6 posted 12-06-2014 10:27 PM

I take it it is not an early medical device for long term birth control.Show that to the youngsters today and the unwanted prgnancy rate would half overnight.LOL Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Gentile's profile


286 posts in 1657 days

#7 posted 12-06-2014 10:31 PM

It would be a handy thing to have…
For what, I don’t know.
Back-in-day, I used a similar tool to fasten 6” hose to 6” pipe. Instead of wire, we used a stainless steel strap and a buckle like thing. I have noticed that strap system being used by the town crew to attach signs to lamp posts…

-- "I cut it twice and it's still too short"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics