What type of hinge?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by IHRedRules posted 11-08-2014 01:06 AM 755 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View IHRedRules's profile


113 posts in 1476 days

11-08-2014 01:06 AM

I am building a reading nook for my mother. I’m building the carcass out of plywood, the top will be oak. She wants the top to open to allow for storage in the cabinet. I was wondering what type of hinge to use? I want part of the top to open, but not all of it. The top will also be used as a seat, so i want it to be sturdy. I was thinking of using a traditional piano hinge, but I was wondering if there might be any other options.

2 replies so far

View Rick Bailey's profile

Rick Bailey

247 posts in 1362 days

#1 posted 11-08-2014 01:27 AM

Piano hinge is the way to go, it will hold the weight of people and be very strong.
Remember to give your self at least 3’’ at the back so the lid will rest back far enough to stay open.
Good luck with the nook for your mom.
PS: I have a 1952 F Cub, IH Red Dose Rule!!!

-- I'll bulid your dream,you tear it down.

View IHRedRules's profile


113 posts in 1476 days

#2 posted 11-08-2014 01:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I was planning on leaving space on the back, but do appreciate the reminder, better to be safe than sorry.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics