|Forum topic by REO||posted 10-26-2014 08:38 PM||914 views||0 times favorited||7 replies|
10-26-2014 08:38 PM
I finished these up today. the customer brought me a post that had been repaired before by replacing the rotten segment of the bottom of the post. I glued up the blanks 4.5×4.5 and ten feet long and cut them on a beam saw to assure they were true. I had to couple two lathes together and turn half at a time. I used a router for the cutting tool which helped to reduce bounce from tool pressure. they took about an hour and a half a piece.
the coupler between the lathes and the pattern post.
the lathes set up with the post under way.
the follower is in the lower right of the picture the router is mounted to the crossfeed.
the skate wheels for support. I didn’t need them on the first post but the more I turned on the second the more the second one would deflect so I tossed them on and they did the job. I have never used skate wheels before. I thought that they would erode the soft grain of the wood. In the past I have used a large bore bearing with spacer blocks in the bore and a nail to hold the blocks in place. This was much easier!