LJ already has several DW735 station projects: for instance,
- a compact stand by BrandonGonzales
- a stand with a built-in cyclone by AdrianM
- a cabinet with outfeed tables and AC filter by Matt in Franklin
- a cabinet with outfeed tables and AC filter by Kelly
Wanting to start building mine but still wavering with some design decisions and wonder if some sharper minds could share some thoughts, especially about chip collection.
At this stage I know I will use:
- thick ply, also possibly some 3×2 douglas
- the same flex hose as on Brian's stand
- a flange to screw that hose into a lid or table
- the same 4” casters as on my table saw stand
Chip Collection into Sealed Bin?
My main question mark right now is chip collection. With the powerful blower in the DW735, everyone is saying that there is no need to hook up an extractor. For that reason, my guess is that a cyclone may not be needed either.
Rather than drawers or compartments that need to be vacuumed, the simplest for me would be a bin that I can tip into a garbage bag. Because of the power of the blower, the lid will have to be on tight, and there needs to be a path for air to escape. I’ll probably have to make a ply lid to attach the flange. Not sure what kind of filter to use for the outgoing air.
Here are questions on which I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts:
- Choice of vessel. Metal garbage bin? Plastic bin that lets me see the level of chips? A twist-top would probably be inconvenient if a flange with the hose is screwed into the lid.
- Mounting an air escape on the vessel. How would you do this? On top? On the sides?
- How would you filter the escaping air? Sourcing components in New Zealand is tricky so ideally it is effective and easy to find.
- Any other ideas that pop into your mind when looking at the other designs.
Huge thanks in advance for any thoughts you can spare.