LumberJocks

Table Saw Wiring Question

  • Advertise with us

« back to Coffee Lounge forum

Forum topic by capnbobbo posted 09-30-2014 11:07 AM 581 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View capnbobbo's profile

capnbobbo

9 posts in 2369 days


09-30-2014 11:07 AM

I have an older Craftsman table saw and the switch went bad. I removed the wires from the switch and connected the power cord directly to the motor. When I plugged it in, I got smoke at the plug-in. Factory wiring had both grounds going to a little block then grounding to the saw bed, I did not do this. Is this my problem? If I ground it to the table, will it shock me? Thanks for any advice.


1 reply so far

View bigblockyeti's profile

bigblockyeti

3668 posts in 1188 days


#1 posted 09-30-2014 01:15 PM

All parts of the saw should be grounded, those that might be isolated by how the saw was designed have a dedicated ground wire going to them as you’ve mentioned. This is intentional and serves to protect the user from getting shocked. If you have a situation where the hot wire contacts part of the motor, frame or table and it’s not grounded, you have an excellent chance of getting shocked.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com