not to sure if this is the right place to post this but, oh well…. :-)
So I was on my way to the bedroom and I smelled the sent of linseed oil, at first I though nothing of it cause I had just coated a bunch of wood with the oil earlier today, But as soon as I walked passed the stairs I began to smell the odor stronger and it seemed to be as if I smelt the order was from the shop. So I stood their for a second thinking of what it could be( at the same time I felt like I really needed to head down to the shop) but I was feeling really lazy and I was like, ’’eh, it can’t be anything’‘
But then I said to myself,’‘well what if it really could be something serious’’ So I did finally run into the shop real quick, and as I got closer I thought to myself, ’’OH….SHIT!!!’’. Yep! I just had a another close encounter with a serious fire.
Well let it be said that boiled linseed oil definitely is able to start a fire if you leave the wet rags all bound up in a trash can! I had a visitor with me in the shop today to help me get some work done and I forgot to tell then to leave the oil soaked rags out to dry rather then just throw all of them in the trash. I always take caution to avoid this sort of thing from happening. I always pay attention to what’s going on but the one time I didn’t double check, it nearly bit me in the ass. So the final thing I want to say is that make sure you always double check things, even if it’s inconvenient. And by the way the brand of oil was klean strip.
To me I now will ALWAYS!! leave my rags out as normally do but, I will never take any more chances like this because if it happened this time is sure can happen again.
Here are some pictures…