LumberJocks

Reclaimed/salvaged flooring in a project

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by mustang958 posted 08-25-2014 09:06 AM 490 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View mustang958's profile

mustang958

54 posts in 1814 days


08-25-2014 09:06 AM

Topic tags/keywords: flooring tongue and groove red oak oak joining jointer

Hello. I have some salvaged tongue and groove red oak flooring that I’m planning on incorporating into a project. I wanted to try and avoid trimming it as much as possible and was hoping to be able to keep the tongue and groove intact. Is there a trick to getting a snug fit when gluing up the stock or is just better to trim the tongue and groove off? I’m not opposed to running the boards through the planer when trimmed, was just trying to keep them as wide as possible. The ends won’t be visible where the boards are being used so it doesn’t matter either way . Thanks for reading and looking forward to seeing any suggestions.


7 replies so far

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

363 posts in 1484 days


#1 posted 08-25-2014 11:14 AM

The technique that I use for this is to glue the boards together with the tongue-and-grooves. Once the glue dries I cut them apart on the tablesaw or bandsaw. Then joint them and glue them back together. It works well.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View bigblockyeti's profile

bigblockyeti

1614 posts in 387 days


#2 posted 08-25-2014 12:32 PM

Make sure the tongue and groove are both clean and undamaged so as to allow a tight fit. You can glue and clamp it to keep it tight, be sure to allow for movement if it’s going to be a wide glue up.

View Hammerthumb's profile

Hammerthumb

1327 posts in 641 days


#3 posted 08-25-2014 09:54 PM

It is typical that hardwood floor manufacturers supply a tongue and groove that does not fully engage on the bottom side of the planks. Easy way to tells is to put 2 pieces together upside down on your bench. There is usually a gap between the boards, although the top of the boards are making full contact. This makes using the tongue and groove milled by the manufacturer not a great option for wood joinery. I would cut off the T&G and just edge glue it.

-- Paul, Las Vegas

View mustang958's profile

mustang958

54 posts in 1814 days


#4 posted 08-26-2014 09:08 AM

You confirmed what I probably already knew Hammerthumb. I guess it was inevitable that I was going to have to remove the tongue and groove. Not only is the flooring as you described, it’s also old which adds to its let’s say quirkiness. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else but I’m okay with that decision. Already thinking of how these pieces are going to go together. Appreciate the comments.

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

363 posts in 1484 days


#5 posted 08-26-2014 11:55 AM

My method deals with that problem: when you rip the glued boards apart you cut along the gap on the bottom of the boards, which makes the gap disappear. Really does work, but you need to be willing to do the extra work in order to save 3/8 inch per board.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

View splatman's profile

splatman

51 posts in 65 days


#6 posted 08-27-2014 07:00 AM

Idea: Recut the T’s and G’s with a T&G router bit set (with a router table). First, take off a 1/16” or so from both edges (on a jointer), so the cutters will actually cut a new T/G that will fit tight.
I have some old T&G oak flooring that I found in a dumpster. The T’s & G’s don’t tightly fit together. If what’s being discussed here is anything like it, not only is there a gap on the bottom, also, the tongue does not fully fill the groove.

View mustang958's profile

mustang958

54 posts in 1814 days


#7 posted 08-27-2014 08:55 AM

Yup tried that trick last night to try and salvage some width. And you’re right the tongue doesn’t fit all the way to the bottom of the groove and it’s rounded over. Took several of the worst pieces and gave it a go. Although the fit was better it still wasn’t as solid as it would be ripping the tongue and groove off. I also contemplated ripping the tongue off and trying something with biscuits. I would stil have to even up the groove ends so maybe I’ll see how that looks later on tonight. I have enough of the flooring that trimming it up won’t compromise what I’m doing so I’m okay with whatever has to be done. Hopefully will post in a few weeks when finished. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’m glad to see suggestions similar to what I was thinking all along.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase