Burnt Pine

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by cben posted 08-07-2014 11:59 PM 1078 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View cben's profile


1 post in 1568 days

08-07-2014 11:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a coffee table to build and it needs to match the rest of the furniture it will be sitting with. The furniture is your basic 2×6 pine construction. The dark grain has been burnt somehow before the finish was put on. My questions are 1 – what is the proper name for this process and 2 – what is the best way to do it? I have experimented a little with my hand held torch and I seem to be getting a lot of sap that is coming to the surface.

1 reply so far

View jumbojack's profile


1685 posts in 2800 days

#1 posted 08-08-2014 05:07 AM

I just call it scorching. I ran the flame, from a hand held propane torch, down the early growth and burnt it (scorched). Please see my bed build in my projects.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics