Which cam rest for a Stanley 45 combination plane?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Brett posted 08-07-2014 05:21 AM 1559 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2676 days

08-07-2014 05:21 AM

I bought a Stanley 45 combination plane recently that came with two cam rests:

They are essentially identical, except for the screws used to tighten the cam rest to a rod: one screw is like a set screw and the other has a cylindrical head.

I’d like to keep one cam rest to use and sell the other one. Is there any practical difference between the two? Do they come from different eras? Are they both authentic? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

-- More tools, fewer machines.

2 replies so far

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

4979 posts in 2486 days

#1 posted 08-07-2014 12:37 PM

I’m only guessing, but maybe the set screw is a replacement. Mine has the slotted screw.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View Deycart's profile


444 posts in 2251 days

#2 posted 08-08-2014 03:05 AM

I have never seen one with a set screw and a few 45’s have passed though my hands.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics