V-groove router bit

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by nate22 posted 08-05-2014 09:45 AM 1217 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View nate22's profile


475 posts in 3078 days

08-05-2014 09:45 AM

I’ve been looking at router bits for sign making is the v-groove bit the one I want or is there another one I should use. I just don’t want to waste money on a bit that I don’t need at the moment.

-- Gracie's wooden signs. Middlebury, In.

6 replies so far

View BGW's profile


165 posts in 2210 days

#1 posted 08-05-2014 10:09 AM

A VGroove bit is good for most engravings (particularly words). My other favorite bit is a 1/8” bull nose bit for carvings.

-- Bob, Indiana, "Well done is better than well said." -Ben Franklin

View rrww's profile


263 posts in 2316 days

#2 posted 08-05-2014 11:27 AM

You can get v-grooves in different angles 90, 60, 20 degree angles. This gives you a wider range of detail and letter sizes.

+1 BGW on the bull nose bit

View helluvawreck's profile


32087 posts in 3070 days

#3 posted 08-05-2014 02:13 PM

A lot of people use them for lettering.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View Gentile's profile


314 posts in 2021 days

#4 posted 08-05-2014 04:13 PM

Off topic…
I have an old Craftsman V-groove bit that I use in my drill for countersinking screws. It works better for that than in my router.

-- "I cut it twice and it's still too short"

View MrUnix's profile


7051 posts in 2402 days

#5 posted 08-05-2014 05:20 PM

Unless your needs are very limited, you will want more than just one bit. A V-groove bit is suitable for lettering as Charles stated.. but you are limited to the thickness of your bit if you go that style. I do lots of raised lettering and other raised ‘artwork’ type signs, and find that using either flat or bull nose (rounded) bits worrk better for that purpose.. it’s hard to hog out large areas with a V-bit! You also will probably want to do some kind of edging on the signs.. various sized round over/chamfer bits can be used to make rounded and scalloped edges. Fancier edging can be done with cove, ogee or other bits in combination or separately. Would probably be best to purchase a basic set and see which ones you wind up using the most for the type of work you want to do; then invest in some better quality ones once you know.


-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

21740 posts in 3308 days

#6 posted 08-05-2014 08:50 PM

I use 90 degree,and 60 degree V- groove bits and 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 ball nose bits for signs.

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics