Removing Mold from Plywood

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by IHRedRules posted 08-01-2014 02:04 AM 1070 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View IHRedRules's profile


113 posts in 1444 days

08-01-2014 02:04 AM

Recently I had 5.5” of rain in about 3 hours. With all that rain, it had no where to go, so it flowed right through my garage. I happened to have a nice full sheet of 1/4 sawn oak plywood sitting on end on the with the bottom touching the floor and it obviously got wet on the bottom. At first there was a visible water stain where it got wet, and I figured I would just discard that part and move on, as it was only ~4-5”. I recently used the upper portion that was no where near the water and made a bookcase and all turned out well with that. Today I was looking at the scraps that I had left over and was thinking about using them to make a small 2 shelf nightstand/bookcase, but I noticed that some of the scraps near the area that was saturated have mold on them. Does anyone have any suggestions how to best remove the mold?

3 replies so far

View Dark_Lightning's profile


3146 posts in 3077 days

#1 posted 08-01-2014 02:12 AM

Bleach. That may do things to the wood that you won’t like. I personally would throw it out, while gritting my teeth in pain. QSWO is one of my personal favorites. JMHO, maybe there is another solution.

-- Random Orbital Nailer

View bigblockyeti's profile


5098 posts in 1689 days

#2 posted 08-01-2014 03:09 AM

+1 to bleach, put it out in the sun and let it dry out completely.

View Crank50's profile


173 posts in 1544 days

#3 posted 08-01-2014 02:49 PM

I am treating a sheet of 3/4 cabinet ply right now. I will use it in my shop but I wouldn’t put it in anything I’m going to sell.

The best solution I have come up with is “bleach AND Borax”.

The ply must be very dry first.
Sand or wire brush the surface and vacuum clean.
Mix a cup of bleach with 1/2 cup of Borax. (you get Borax at the grocery, in laundry detergent aisle)
I use a scouring pad, like you clean the grill with, dip it in the bleach/Borax mixture then scrub with the grain.

Note, this will raise the grain on the wood but it can be sanded later.
Let the bleach/Borax dry over night and the next day there will be a powdery residue where the borax remains after the liquid bleach evaporated. Leave it like this till you use it because the Borax prevents the return of the mold.

When you do use this wood, just wipe off the powder and sand the grain as usual and apply finish.
I often apply a mildewcide to my finish just to be safe.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics