Where to find huge roundover and profile bits

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Jackietreehorn posted 07-15-2014 06:16 PM 1180 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Jackietreehorn's profile


150 posts in 2109 days

07-15-2014 06:16 PM

Topic tags/keywords: router bit chamfer profile

There’s this guy that sells them in sets, and individually but hasn’t listed a brand name so not sure if he’s having some of them custom made. He’s a specialty products dealer and I see his prices are kind of high for normal off the shelf stuff so I thought if anyone knew of a manufacturer of these odd bits that would be awesome. I can’t see needing a complete set, and for the money I suppose the sets are decently priced.

Some of these could just be raised panel bits marketed as a chamfer too I guess… my internet search for a 72 degree chamfer didn’t get me far, I found some amana 1.25 & 1.5 roundover, but not the 1.125. As for his scoop bit, I’m sure that’s called something else in the cabinetry world but I’m clueless as to what. Not that big of a deal but hopefully someone has more sources. Thanks!


7 replies so far

View levan's profile


472 posts in 3150 days

#1 posted 07-15-2014 06:58 PM

You might try here. Whiteside are quality bits.

-- "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right". Henry Ford

View bigblockyeti's profile


5247 posts in 1892 days

#2 posted 07-15-2014 06:59 PM

Some of the terminology he’s using for the bits being sold is certainly new to me. His “scoop” bit, I’ve always understood as being a cove bit, albeit without any firm proportions regarding height or depth of the material it’s designed to remove. The “slide” bit is a bit less ambiguous, better known as a roman ogee, again without any firm regulation on proportions.

-- "Lack of effort will result in failure with amazing predictability" - Me

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5131 posts in 2664 days

#3 posted 07-15-2014 07:13 PM

A few years back I was looking for some large profile bits (roundover and cove) and couldn’t find the exact sizes I wanted. But I came close with some Magnate bits, it turned out they were very good quality bits…though that was the first time I had ever heard the name. Anyway, for example, they have a 1 1/2” radius roundover and a complete selection of other profiles. You might check there for what you;re after.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View Jackietreehorn's profile


150 posts in 2109 days

#4 posted 07-15-2014 07:13 PM

Ha, I just happened to open my Rockler flyer from the mail and noticed the raised panel cove and ogee look the same as some of his bits. I come from a car audio background and am slowly learning of the neat tools for woodworking…


View Jackietreehorn's profile


150 posts in 2109 days

#5 posted 07-15-2014 07:39 PM

So now I kinda feel like a dunce, I’ve always skipped raised panel bits because my mind set was always “I’m not building cabinet doors” I think the raised panel straight bit is the 72 degree chamfer


View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3819 days

#6 posted 07-15-2014 08:04 PM

I’ve bought from Magnate.

View Jackietreehorn's profile


150 posts in 2109 days

#7 posted 07-16-2014 02:31 PM

I’ve never heard of magnate but I’ll have to give them a try, thanks!


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics