What kind of plow plane is this?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Brett posted 06-14-2014 01:24 AM 1995 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2679 days

06-14-2014 01:24 AM

I bought something recently that I though was a simple, old plow plane:

Everything works, and is in pretty good shape. The plane is made by W. Greenslade of Bristol, and is virtually identical to this plane which sold on eBay:

When I brought the plane home, I discovered that the fence does not slide completely against the body of the plane (the eBay plane has a recess in the fence for the depth gauge). Also, the depth gauge cannot be extended down to the sold of the plane, which makes me wonder what it is for. The plane looks like a traditional rabbet plane to which a sliding fence and depth gauge has been attached.

In my pictures, the depth gauge is extended down as far as it will go.

I’ve been trying to picture how this thing works. The only time the depth gauge seems like it would be effective is if the plane were used to cut a rabbet in the end of a board. In fact, the swept cutting iron makes me wonder if this is not some sort of specialty rabbet plane with a variable fence.

Does this make sense? What kind of plane is this?

-- More tools, fewer machines.

5 replies so far

View bandit571's profile


19972 posts in 2679 days

#1 posted 06-14-2014 01:42 AM

Or, just a movable Fillister plane?

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2679 days

#2 posted 06-14-2014 01:48 AM

I did more research and I think it might be a sash fillister plane. Anybody agree?

-- More tools, fewer machines.

View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2679 days

#3 posted 06-17-2014 06:50 PM

If I want to sell this plane, would it hurt the value if i were to polish the brass and lightly clean the wood surfaces? How much might this plane be worth?

-- More tools, fewer machines.

View Zach Dillinger's profile

Zach Dillinger

26 posts in 3154 days

#4 posted 06-17-2014 07:10 PM

Brett, it is definitely a sash fillister plane. I use them quite often. It isn’t a terribly valuable plane, probably $100 or so because it appears to be complete. You won’t hurt the value if you clean the wood gently with paste wax and a rag. Never use abrasives or steel wool on a wooden plane.

If you want to learn how to use it, check out my article on the sash fillister.

-- Author of "With Saw, Plane and Chisel" and "On Woodworking"

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3581 days

#5 posted 06-17-2014 07:19 PM

We call them moulding planes over here sometimes. The ones with lots of brass (steel with infill planes etc ) on them or the most hardware sell for the best prices.However you will understand most woodworkers and woodworking shops had large numbers of these in different patterns, blade and sole designs on them so they are not in a very limited supply or will be soon.LOL Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics