LumberJocks

LEAD PAINT A REAL DANGER

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by a1Jim posted 06-08-2014 04:55 PM 1883 views 0 times favorited 30 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

115207 posts in 3045 days


06-08-2014 04:55 PM

Topic tags/keywords: tip resource

Recently I came across a post about a child sanding a piece of furniture ,my first thought was how cute it was see a littleone sanding, then my second thought was I wonder if that furniture has lead paint on it. As a contractor of 26 years and even as a home renovator before my contracting years, I’ve done many jobs that involved scraping or sanding paint. I’ve heard many times over the years how lead paint is a problem but I thought it was grossly over stated,after all I’m in my 60s and I survived many years of scraping paint that had to be lead based paint.
As a contractor I’m required to take some continuing education to maintain my contracting licence and one year just to get the credits necessary for my licence I took a on line course on lead paint. After taking that course I was very surprised to find how dangerous lead paint can be and how easy it is to contaminate any area your working in long term.
I was also surprised to see that removal of lead paint has to be treated in a very similar manner as asbestos,involving hazmat suites,multiply tarping and negative air pressure units .
Lead paint is a very serious health problem particularly for children and pregnant woman. So even if your working away from home on jobs that involve lead paint it is very easy to bring it home on your clothing and shoes and contaminate your home potentially having dire affects on your children or grand children. It takes a very small amount of lead to cause health problems.

PLEASE keep this in mind when working on your home,on the job or evening refinishing furniture.

Here is some information on lead paint.

http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/121915/renovateright.pdf

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture


30 replies so far

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

2150 posts in 1640 days


#1 posted 06-08-2014 05:12 PM

Thanks Jim.
With all the publicity obout lead paint in old houses you don’t think about all the furniture and other items that were painted with lead at the same time.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7489 posts in 1474 days


#2 posted 06-08-2014 05:31 PM

I can imagine that the crib I CHEWED on as a baby probably had lead paint

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View AnonymousRequest's profile

AnonymousRequest

861 posts in 1016 days


#3 posted 06-08-2014 06:16 PM

Good thing to bring up Jim. Pretty much all antique furniture has lead paint on it.

View littlecope's profile

littlecope

3055 posts in 2970 days


#4 posted 06-08-2014 08:07 PM

Good Warnings Jim!
It’s my understanding, that Lead was added (especially to House Paint) to keep Mold from growing on siding, it kills any Mold that tries to make a home on it…
Unfortunately, it can kill anything that ingests or inhales too much of it…
The up-side is, if you leave it alone, it won’t hurt you!

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

View Kelly's profile

Kelly

1114 posts in 2412 days


#5 posted 06-08-2014 08:36 PM

Lead paint isn’t that big a deal. Do what I do, go take a IQ test twice. For example, I scored sixty-five both times. Sixty-five and sixty-five is a hundred thirty, which puts me about or above average (when you consider certain voters).

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

22052 posts in 1806 days


#6 posted 06-08-2014 08:40 PM

Easy to forget. Thanks for the reminder.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it.

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

115207 posts in 3045 days


#7 posted 06-08-2014 08:50 PM

Thanks guys for responding ,I noticed a lot more views than responses as is normal, but that was my whole point in posting this is to remind folks or inform them if they were not aware of the dangers involved.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View stefang's profile

stefang

15512 posts in 2802 days


#8 posted 06-08-2014 09:24 PM

Good reminder Jim. I can remember the old lead paint which was used on just about everything painted at one time. The worst thing for me was working around both lead paint and asbestos, something we had a lot of on ships in 1957 when I went into the Navy. I can imagine that the worst effect was probably caused by babies chewing on their cribs, as mentioned by Joe.

My exposure to lead in the Navy has caused me to make many mistakes on my woodworking projects even though most believe it’s just a lack of skill on my part.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View bold1's profile

bold1

262 posts in 1315 days


#9 posted 06-08-2014 09:58 PM

A good reminder. Most of us grew up with lead paint and don’t think about it since it doesn’t really cause adults a problem unless it’s in massive or long term low doses. But children and fetus’s are very quickly affected. Makes a fellow wonder how many children were sickened or died years ago, without the parents having a clue.

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

115207 posts in 3045 days


#10 posted 06-08-2014 10:32 PM

Wow Mike you really had more than your share of toxins .lot’s of folks think you have to chew on lead base paints for it affect you but from what I’ve read it can be transferred through touch of inhaling its partials.

bold1
It does make you wonder ,it also can cause brain damage in youngsters.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

5839 posts in 3053 days


#11 posted 06-08-2014 11:01 PM

Thanks JIM as always.This ! I have learned over the years is why many of the Roman emperors became mad they used lead for eating off plates etc and after many years it did so much brain damage to many many people. Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

115207 posts in 3045 days


#12 posted 06-08-2014 11:18 PM

Your right Alistair in fact they used lead pipes for their water supply.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View Yonak's profile

Yonak

979 posts in 988 days


#13 posted 06-08-2014 11:30 PM

“My exposure to lead in the Navy has caused me to make many mistakes on my woodworking projects ….”

Excellent, stefang ! I never thought of that one. Do you mind if I use it next time I screw up bad in my shop ? I’m thinking it could come in handy next time I forget our anniversary, too.

View littlecope's profile

littlecope

3055 posts in 2970 days


#14 posted 06-08-2014 11:36 PM

The Romans used Lead for their Water Conduits too Alistair… It was (and is) easily worked and never rusts…
On the Periodic Table, Lead is abbreviated Pb, from the Latin Plumbum (hence, the modern Plumbing)

Edit: Oops! Jim beat me to it!

-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

2635 posts in 2576 days


#15 posted 06-09-2014 12:06 AM

The Romans also stored some wine in lead vessels. That acidity would have readily leached the lead into solution. Lead isn’t really all that soluble in water, though I still wouldn’t use it for a liquid vessel I would drink from. I too was in the US Navy, so have the asbestos and red lead paint deal going on. Also, I worked as a mechanic for many years. I’d have to say that I’ve easily done over 2000 brake jobs. There’s some asbestos for you, but dust from worn brake shoes isn’t actually the fibrous part you have to worry about.

Mercury is another toxin a lot of people don’t think about (except for that found in fish). I put an addition on my previous house in 1990. I was surprised to find that there was mercury in the paint I had used (after the fact, of course, I would have found something else, if available). It was phased out about that time frame.

Any more, if I was to remove paint from an old piece of furniture, I’d use stripper and pack it away wet.

-- Random Orbital Nailer

showing 1 through 15 of 30 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com