Hardware for Jewelry, Sewing or Tackle Boxes

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by fustyducker posted 05-31-2014 10:30 PM 6066 views 0 times favorited 11 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View fustyducker's profile


1 post in 1478 days

05-31-2014 10:30 PM

Topic tags/keywords: box hardware question

Anyone know of a source for the brass bars use to make up cantilevered trays that pull up and out, like in a tackle box? Also need shoulders screws to act as a bearing for the bars. The pix shows an example of same in a jewelry box; note the side opening trays. I’ve looked everywhere and found absolutely nothing, don’t even know what these things are properly called! Sure I could make some up out of brass bar or sheet stock but I would much rather grab something stock of the shelf and spend my time makin’ sawdust…

11 replies so far

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

5621 posts in 3734 days

#1 posted 05-31-2014 10:51 PM

I think I saw something like that in the Lee Valley hardware catalogue. I think they were for a sewing box, but its really the same application.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View Picklehead's profile


1041 posts in 1951 days

#2 posted 06-01-2014 01:00 AM

Don’t know about brass bar stock, but here’s the hinge mechanism from Rockler

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

View benchguy's profile


4 posts in 403 days

#3 posted 05-10-2017 03:46 PM

Hey fustyduster,

I’d like to get the plans to that Jewelry box. Does anyone know where those plans are or where I could find plans for one like it (with the lift trays).

View BurlyBob's profile


5543 posts in 2287 days

#4 posted 05-10-2017 04:26 PM

Hey Fusty.

Point me to the plans as well.

View Loren's profile


10476 posts in 3670 days

#5 posted 05-10-2017 06:20 PM

No, but they can be done with hardwood.

View benchguy's profile


4 posts in 403 days

#6 posted 05-10-2017 11:12 PM

Nice, and thank you but I’m looking more toward the Jewelry box look vs. the tackle/sewing box version.

View papadan's profile


3584 posts in 3390 days

#7 posted 05-11-2017 12:23 AM

Try the word “cantilever” in your search

View Madmark2's profile


379 posts in 610 days

#8 posted 05-11-2017 12:56 AM

Brass strips are available at . .


View benchguy's profile


4 posts in 403 days

#9 posted 05-11-2017 09:21 AM

Just brass strip stock or the mfg hinges? Is there a type of hinge I should search for? “Strap” hinges brings up the gate type hinge.

View Kazooman's profile


1024 posts in 1974 days

#10 posted 05-11-2017 08:42 PM

You do not want hinges, you do want pieces of brass bar stock. Cut it to length, drill the holes and countersink for brass screws. That is how I made the bars for the drawer lift mechanism in this jewelry box. I made a simple jig to round the ends of the bars. I took a scrap piece of 1/2” baltic birch plywood and inserted a pin that was the diameter of the hole in the wood spaced 1/2 of the width of the bar stock away from the edge. With the bar stock placed over the pin the edge of the stock would be parallel to and exactly along the edge of the plywood. I then clamped the jig to the table of my vertical belt sander with the edge right at the belt. Slowly pivoting the piece around the pin gives a perfectly rounded end. Cleanup with some fine grit sandpaper and a bit of buffing gave a great finish to the bars. I got my bar stock from I have used them in the past and they have a great selection, good prices, and rapid shipping.

View benchguy's profile


4 posts in 403 days

#11 posted 05-11-2017 10:28 PM

Well, Kazooman, what can I say, between your explanation and the pictures, I’m impressed, really. Do you have a website, sell on line? Thanks for responding.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics