Panel Planes?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Grasshopper000 posted 05-24-2014 12:45 PM 2185 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Grasshopper000's profile


101 posts in 1710 days

05-24-2014 12:45 PM

Just watched an old episode of Woodright’s Shop (love it) and had a question about panel planes for making raised panels for door construction. I looked on LN and Lee Valley websites and didn’t see any new ones for sale. Any intel on how to make raised panels using panel planes or other types of planes? Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!


8 replies so far

View derosa's profile


1590 posts in 3076 days

#1 posted 05-24-2014 01:07 PM

You can use something like the skew rabbit plane to make raised panels. You can even see on the lee valley site the tool being used for just such a purpose. Check out,41182,48945&ap=1 and scroll to near the bottom. It is all about setting the fence and the depth stop.

-- A posse ad esse

View Wally331's profile


350 posts in 2265 days

#2 posted 05-24-2014 01:38 PM

just recently there was an article in popular woodworking on how to make a panel raiserr. I can’t seem to find i but look around on their website and I’m sure it won’t take long.

Otherwise as derosa said, you can use a combination of a shoulder or rabbet plane and simple bench planes, or something like a stanley no.10 or lie nielsen rabbeting block plane should work also.

View Deycart's profile


444 posts in 2498 days

#3 posted 05-24-2014 03:21 PM

A “panel raising plane” is like this

A “Panel plane” is like this.

The top one makes panels for doors and the like and the other makes really really flat and smooth panels.

Just want to make sure there is no confusion. I find panel raising planes in antique shops all the time going for about 50 or so.

View bandit571's profile (online now)


22020 posts in 2923 days

#4 posted 05-24-2014 03:44 PM

Or watch Paul Sellers do panel raising with just a #4 Stanley smooth plane.

Have tried it, works decently on small panels using a #4. For the longer stuff, I had to switch to a #5. I also laid the blank down, to do the sides. You can then just use a Rebate plane to add a rebate around the inside edges of the panel, to fit in the grooves better.

Get the basic bevel done that way, then use a hollow or round to define the type edge you want.

Or, just get a blank of beech wood, and make a panel raiser plane to suit…

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3888 days

#5 posted 05-24-2014 04:10 PM

Garrett Wade used to sell matched panel raising planes. They
were pretty spendy. You’ll see those pop up on ebay from time
to time… most people who bought them probably didn’t
use them much.

I’ve seen vintage ones one ebay too, but seldom matched sets.

The matched sets allow you to work with the grain.

You can certainly make your own. Make a few less technical
planes first. Making planes is not that difficult. Making really
good ones might be a challenge.

View Don W's profile

Don W

19050 posts in 2808 days

#6 posted 05-26-2014 12:10 AM

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View Grasshopper000's profile


101 posts in 1710 days

#7 posted 05-26-2014 10:55 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments and input, much appreciated!

View Texchappy's profile


252 posts in 2461 days

#8 posted 06-08-2014 07:14 PM

Here’s one out of England:

-- Wood is not velveeta

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics