Is there such a thing a "light stabilization"?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by HarveyDunn posted 05-22-2014 03:13 AM 828 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View HarveyDunn's profile


328 posts in 1967 days

05-22-2014 03:13 AM

I have a piece of interesting wormy wood that I’d like to use as an inlay. It isn’t worth sending it out to have it stabilized and I’m not interested in buying a vacuum pump system. Is there something simple I can do to stabilize this piece? The worm trails are very solid – I can’t dislodge them even after prodding with a screw driver. They might be a bit softer than the surrounding wood – I can dent them if I push hard with a finger nail. There aren’t any gaps or voids.

1 reply so far

View Ted's profile


2875 posts in 2447 days

#1 posted 05-22-2014 03:59 AM

You can soak it in MinWax Wood Hardener, used for repairing rotted wood. I haven’t tried it myself so wait to see what others suggest before trying it.

-- You can collect dust or you can make dust. I choose to make it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics