LumberJocks

Minor mold/mildew issue?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by ADHDan posted 05-19-2014 05:03 PM 842 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ADHDan's profile

ADHDan

800 posts in 1573 days


05-19-2014 05:03 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I finished making a rolling plywood cart using some particle board that was left outside during a Minnesota winter. I didn’t realize until I was halfway done that it has greenish spots all over it. There are no big patches, the drops don’t seem to have grown or multiplied, and the board is now being stored indoors in my climate-controlled shop. I can post better pictures tomorrow, but suffice it to say that it basically looks like someone shook a paintbrush over the particle board and flung drops here and there. As you can see, there’s nothing resembling the big patches of black mold you’d get from having something resting in standing water for a sustained period of time.

Should I be seriously concerned? Can I leave it alone and see if it gets worse, or should I paint it down with Killz?

-- Dan in Minneapolis, woodworking since 11/11.


7 replies so far

View Ingjr's profile

Ingjr

144 posts in 2481 days


#1 posted 05-19-2014 10:53 PM

I’d cover it if it was mine. No sense in inhaling any mold spores if it can be helped.

-- The older I get the faster I was.

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

3256 posts in 2140 days


#2 posted 05-20-2014 02:46 AM

I work in Disaster Relief. This is not my area but I know we buy a product at Home Depot I believe. We dilute it according to the directions and spray it under in and on people’s homes. I think we pay about $20 a gallon for it and you dilute it. I don’t know if you can get smaller quantities or not. I think the can says it is good for 20 years. If you could buy a smaller qty then it would be a great find. We used to use 10% chlorine bleach solutions but found this to be better and not as offensive.

View woodchuckerNJ's profile

woodchuckerNJ

1154 posts in 1099 days


#3 posted 05-20-2014 02:52 AM

I would clean it off with a light bleach and soap.
Then blow dry it off.
And then seal it with zinnser bin, which is a shellac primer. It will seal the wood, and you’ll stop looking at that OSB :-)

Shellac is a better sealer than Kilz IMHO.

-- Jeff NJ

View Snipes's profile

Snipes

98 posts in 1710 days


#4 posted 05-20-2014 03:43 AM

bleach is more dangerous than mold, leave it alone.

-- if it is to be it is up to me

View Rick's profile

Rick

8287 posts in 2498 days


#5 posted 05-20-2014 06:11 AM

Agree with Snipes.

I just read an article on Removing Mold. They also Cautioned on Using Bleach. DON’T!

-- Hope Everyone Is Doing Well! .... Best Regards: Rick

View matador8's profile

matador8

27 posts in 1281 days


#6 posted 05-20-2014 11:51 AM

Hi ADHDan,

You could try this a 1/4 of a teaspoon of oil of clovers in a 1 litre spray bottle.
Just spray a mist of it over the mould or mildew that will kill it. Wait a few days
than wash it off with white vinegar. That is the recipe for all mould & mildew.
I hope that helps. Let me know if it works. That is what I use here in Australia.

Cheers Graham.

View ADHDan's profile

ADHDan

800 posts in 1573 days


#7 posted 05-20-2014 03:07 PM

Thanks all for the advice. After considering it all I’m leaning towards this plan: spray it down with a non-bleach, non-ammonia mold control spray like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobium-32-oz-Mold-Control-025326/100654126, let it dry and scrub/repeat per instructions, and keep an eye out for any darkening/spreading patches down the road. If it looks like the problem returns, I’ll spray it again, wait and wipe with vinegar, and then paint with oil-based Killz.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? I have extremely limited time right now so even if the spray just delays the problem for a while (and I eventually have to do a bit more work), that’s fine with me.

-- Dan in Minneapolis, woodworking since 11/11.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com