|Forum topic by XBIGJIMX||posted 05-11-2014 02:48 AM||2936 views||0 times favorited||5 replies|
05-11-2014 02:48 AM
So anyway I have this Craftsman Drill press I was given, but I already had a floor drill press. So i posted it on Craigs list but after a month no takers what to do with it. Well I was half asleep and the thought popped in my head ..”Hey why not make it the buffing station you need”. So I said well that a damn fine idea…..
Here is the starting point.
So the only thing I bought was the wheels and this from Grizzly
After pulling it apart and tossing the extra parts I was left with the motor , pulleys, belt, and stand.
So i started off adding some extensions so I would have some clearance from the stand so I don’t accidentally bump into what ever i was buffing. So I grabbed some scrap Cherry and Maple. I cut em to the size needed and angled the edges with a hand plane.
Now I was really interested int he pulleys because I wanted the ability to adjust speed. Cause when doing finishing slow is always good. Now the first issue was the I.D. was to small to fit the arbor. So I am to cheap to buy the correct size so lets mod this sucker out. To the Lathe! So I bored it out to fit and then drilled out and tapped 3 set screws in the first hub.
Next Plugged the countersunk screws with Walnut and added a few coats of Tung Oil. And made a box for the switch out of maple and wired that.
Now with everything bolted in. I added the wheels and made some washers/stiffeners out of some end grain cutting board scraps. And boom one professional buffing machine with adjustable speeds