What is a pen blank where wood is mixed with acrylic called?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by Split posted 04-20-2014 11:24 PM 1354 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Split's profile


33 posts in 1883 days

04-20-2014 11:24 PM

I have been looking around and I have seen some pen blanks that are burl cut offs that were cast in acrylic to make use of them. I have seen them reincarnated wood blanks or worthless pen blanks are there any other names for this style or where anyone knows to butyl them?


2 replies so far

View PaulDoug's profile


1601 posts in 1847 days

#1 posted 04-21-2014 12:41 AM

I think you are talking about “MuttBlanks”

-- “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

View WibblyPig's profile


172 posts in 3418 days

#2 posted 04-21-2014 01:52 AM

The general name is “stabilized blanks”. There are two ways of stabilizing them – vacuum and pressure. Vacuum is the easiest for the general population. If you want to stabilize your own, you can buy the ingredients and vacuum chamber (and possibly vacuum pump) from Craft Supplies USA. They also sell already stabilized blanks as I’m sure a number of other places do. You can also get them off Ebay.

-- Steve, Webster Groves, MO "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics