LumberJocks

Broken Biesmeyer cam foot broken

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by RXCabinets posted 04-18-2014 11:40 PM 821 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View RXCabinets's profile

RXCabinets

10 posts in 964 days


04-18-2014 11:40 PM

Topic tags/keywords: tablesaw biesmeyer cam foot

I have an ancient Unisaw with an ancient Biesmeyer 50” fence that I have been using since 1991 (it was not very new then either). My cam foot just snapped off just below the loop that the bolt goes through. I have no idea which model this is and almost all the cam foots except one are discontinued.
1)I think the one that is available is somewhat universal and may replace the obsolete feet, but I’m not 100% sure
2)Can anyone think of a safe and effective fix I can use to get my cabinet job finished so I can order a new cam foot without $45 worth of rush shipping? Thanks for any help

-- Thought is a bird of space, who, in a cage of words, can spread it's wings, but cannot fly


6 replies so far

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

1507 posts in 2274 days


#1 posted 04-19-2014 12:58 AM

If your supplier can get it to you overnight I would say that’s a bargain if it enables you to deliver a paying job !

On the other hand it is fairly easy to forge if you have the means to heat, cut and shape it.

JB

View deputy4989's profile

deputy4989

17 posts in 990 days


#2 posted 04-19-2014 01:24 AM

Take itto a local farm welding shop they can do wonders

-- If we can't fix it, It ain't broke

View Robsshop's profile

Robsshop

899 posts in 2440 days


#3 posted 04-19-2014 03:23 AM

I am assuming that you are talking about performing ripping cuts using the fence? If It were me, I would simply use F clamps to lock down the fence rail to the table at both ends of the rail. The only thing that might be an issue is because of the cam levers design, it is what squares the fence to the blade alignment . So I would be sure to measure each setting carefully and recheck it periodically. Just my 2cts, good luck with your build !..........ROB

-- Rob,Gaithersburg,MD,One mans trash is another mans wood shop treasure ! ;-)

View RXCabinets's profile

RXCabinets

10 posts in 964 days


#4 posted 04-23-2014 03:06 AM

Here’s a shot of the broken cam foot

it’s not really that precise of a part, just makes the clamping action. So I went to Home Despot and bought some 1/8” X 3/4” steel, a cheap torch and a couple of hacksaw blades…

Cost me about $25
And made this perversion against nature….

The 1/8” is a little weak, but it will get me through till the new one I ordered comes in. Almost all of the cam feet are marked obsolete or discontinued, so I am taking the chance that the only one they still sell is somewhat universal. The lady I talked to didn’t know and all markings on my Biesmeyer are long gone. Robsshop, I use my saw for EVERYTHING! Ripping, crosscutting, making locking drawer joints, grooving. I am close enough to madness as it is without making all those tiny exact settings with clamps to drive me over the edge ;) A few minor adjustments on the allen screws on the outer arms and adding a piece of standard mica to the cam foot face was all I needed to get things back up to snuff. I will let you all know how the new part works out when it gets here. Many thanks for your helpful input. This is a great resource of knowledge

-- Thought is a bird of space, who, in a cage of words, can spread it's wings, but cannot fly

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

1507 posts in 2274 days


#5 posted 04-23-2014 10:11 PM

Now that’s what I’m talking about RX.

well done!

View RXCabinets's profile

RXCabinets

10 posts in 964 days


#6 posted 05-28-2014 04:41 AM

sorry for the late update. The new cam foot ccame in and it works well enough. Here it is next to the one I made

The new one is the one on the left. It took about 10 business days to get to me in Florida with their cheapest shipping, and other than being stronger than the one I made, it’s not that different than mine. Your basic bent piece of metal. Whipping up my replacement took about 3 hours, so that’s way faster than the fastest shipping. Hope this can help others who may have the same problem. I got the new one from http://www.ereplacementparts.com/
if that helps. My experience was pleasant enough, though their not knowing whether it was a universal part for all the discontinued cam feet was a little frustrating, though I’m not assigning blame. Thanks for all the comments!

-- Thought is a bird of space, who, in a cage of words, can spread it's wings, but cannot fly

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com