How to get a nice start and end on fluting?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by HarveyDunn posted 04-14-2014 02:36 PM 998 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View HarveyDunn's profile


328 posts in 1970 days

04-14-2014 02:36 PM

I’m going to rout some flutes into the legs of a table I’m making. This is a photo of a piece of mass-produced furniture I have. I like the way the flutes taper to a point.

Can I replicate that with a router?

7 replies so far

View bondogaposis's profile


5151 posts in 2590 days

#1 posted 04-14-2014 03:29 PM

I don’t think you can do that by ordinary routing techniques. I would suggest using a gouge on the ends of the channels to get that look.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

1325 posts in 2187 days

#2 posted 04-14-2014 03:50 PM

I wonder if you made a guide that had a ramp on each end would bit ride up and cause a taper? I am shooting from the hip here, and have never done this before. A core box bit has a radius on it so as it rides up the ramp the radius would get smaller.

View bigblockyeti's profile


5317 posts in 1959 days

#3 posted 04-14-2014 04:04 PM

I saw it done with a router that had a custom square baseplate (plywood), while using a fence and a wedge acting as a cam at the end of the cut to slowly and consistently lift the spinning bit out of the work piece.

-- "Lack of effort will result in failure with amazing predictability" - Me

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

1325 posts in 2187 days

#4 posted 04-14-2014 04:13 PM

this is similar to what I was saying, only I would make it a fixture, and using a bushing so all the flutes are the same. You get the Idea

View ChefHDAN's profile


1230 posts in 3088 days

#5 posted 04-14-2014 04:24 PM

You could go for a sloped fixture like the ones used to rout kitchen sink drainboards,

-- I've decided 1 mistake is really 2 opportunities to learn.. learn how to fix it... and learn how to not repeat it

View Mark Kornell's profile

Mark Kornell

1169 posts in 2770 days

#6 posted 04-14-2014 09:30 PM

Another option is to use a large diameter fluting bit, like this one:

I used that bit to make the flutes on the side of this plane:

Maybe not quite as tapered an end as you are looking for, but it is a straight cut, no ramp involved.

-- Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

View huff's profile


2828 posts in 3524 days

#7 posted 04-15-2014 12:44 AM


I’ve always done my fluting on my table saw. I purchased a used Craftsman molding head with a variety of interchangeable cutters. The old kit I had did not have an actual fluting cutter in it, but I took one of the old cutters and reground it to make my own fluting bit.

I’m sure I could have bought the regular fluting bit, but at the time I worked with what I had and it has worked so well that I’m still using it.

I never cared for the spoon look at the end of a flute when done with a router because it never looked like what you would see on furniture.

-- John @

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics