Attaching hardwood for milling

  • Advertise with us

« back to CNC Woodworking forum

Forum topic by wwbob posted 04-11-2014 06:52 PM 1579 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View wwbob's profile


111 posts in 2896 days

04-11-2014 06:52 PM

Topic tags/keywords: cnc milling router

Hope this forum has as many good answers as all the other forums.

How is a hardwood part attached for milling? Many cnc routers have a vacuum base for sheet goods. I’ve seen machine shop like hold downs used when milling just the interior of hardwood.

At about 1:22 into the video shows a rough cut piece of hardwood’s exterior shape being milled. My guess is double sided tape, but I’ve never tried using tape.

Any answers?


-- "I like the quiet I hear." - Channing, age 4

5 replies so far

View TechTeacher04's profile


386 posts in 1553 days

#1 posted 04-12-2014 12:59 AM

I agree with your guess. There is no sign on any clamps or vacuum. Double faced tape or carpet tape seems like the most likely hold down.

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

1325 posts in 1970 days

#2 posted 04-12-2014 03:05 AM

right at 2:50 you can clearly see the tape.

View KarenW's profile


131 posts in 2210 days

#3 posted 04-12-2014 10:16 AM

We use a variety of things for hold-downs, depending on what we’re cutting.
Big pine rounds—we screws on a backer board of MDF, leaving corners exposed for clamping.
Small pieces of Corian or stock that’s under .25” thick or any sort of scrap that’s maybe too small for clamping—double sided tape onto an MDF board that is clamped down.
Anything else—I figure in an extra half in or so to my overall width or length or check my design for open corners or edge space for clamps.
Occasionally I’ve pin-nailed thin stock in the corners onto MDF and clamped conventionally.

-- Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best. --Theodore I. Rubin

View DS's profile


2924 posts in 2442 days

#4 posted 04-12-2014 10:43 AM

The video was interesting… I almost forgot your question. It sure looks like they used double sided tape.

I’ve seen guys make double sided vacuum pods that work pretty good for this too. It’s a hockey puck sized peice that you set between yor part and the table and it draws a vacuum on the top and bottom of the pucks.
They hold the workpiece up off the spoil board for the side operations too.

The pods can be made of polyester stock and cut right on your machine and common weatherstripping can be used to seal the faces.

-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251

View protdesigner's profile


5 posts in 782 days

#5 posted 05-07-2016 06:43 AM

depending on Your needs You can use clamps, double side tape or few types of vices.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics