|Forum topic by Greg Guarino||posted 04-01-2014 03:30 AM||682 views||0 times favorited||2 replies|
04-01-2014 03:30 AM
I’m building well, this:
I had gotten up to here:
The large shelf is not fastened to the “support units” yet, but I assembled the support units with the (curved) uprights inserted into dadoes in the main shelf. My precision is less than completely precise; I figured that doing the glue-up with the uprights in their dadoes would ensure that they would mate properly when I do the final assembly. I marked one edge of the shelf “front”
A week went by and I decided to work on the 1×2 trim around the main shelf. I’m fastening it with biscuits, another brand-new technique for me. I was pleased with how easy it was to cut the slots. It was getting late in the day and my energy was flagging, but I decided to clear the deck a bit and at least prepare to glue the trim on. I figured to stand the shelf on one long edge in some handscrew clamps for convenience.
As I lifted the shelf I noticed the label I had added the week before: “Front”; but, of course, on the edge I had not made the biscuit slots in. If my workmanship was sufficiently accurate the shelf and its dadoes would be symmetrical; the support units would fit just fine with the shelf the other way ‘round. But of course it isn’t, they aren’t and they don’t.
It’s no disaster. The unused slots will butt up against the kitchen wall. I just need to cut new slots on the other edge. Of course, I sanded off the pencil marks already, so I’ll need to recreate the positions first.
From now on, I will not simply label “front”, or “left” or “top”; my labels will come in pairs. Top and bottom, left and right, front and back. I may add ”... you idiot” for emphasis.