Yet another "what is this molding" question.....

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by noone posted 03-31-2014 08:01 PM 1220 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View noone's profile


583 posts in 2237 days

03-31-2014 08:01 PM

Do any of you know what molding this is or what bit would get me close? Me likey this molding…....

8 replies so far

View Woodendeavor's profile


276 posts in 2571 days

#1 posted 03-31-2014 10:47 PM

The picture is not the clearest but it appears to be OG with lip

View huff's profile


2828 posts in 3250 days

#2 posted 03-31-2014 11:40 PM

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the flat panel is deeply recessed and the profile is actually a two piece applied molding, caulked and painted…..or it was done on a CNC set-up.

-- John @

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

1325 posts in 1913 days

#3 posted 04-01-2014 01:16 AM

looks like some type of base cap. Something like this a little fancier. It is designed to finish off the leading edge of 3/4” stock.

Here is some interesting wainscotting by Norm

View NoThanks's profile


798 posts in 1494 days

#4 posted 04-01-2014 02:19 AM

It’s just a panel molding, something similar to this. They just set the molding inside of the frame,instead of over the edge of the frame. You should be able to find something that isn’t cut out for a panel.

Should be able to find it at any lumber company that stocks moldings.

-- Because I'm gone, that's why!

View WibblyPig's profile


172 posts in 3239 days

#5 posted 04-01-2014 03:01 AM

Agree – panel molding or picture frame molding.

-- Steve, Webster Groves, MO "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

View noone's profile


583 posts in 2237 days

#6 posted 04-01-2014 11:12 PM

Thanks guys. A completely agree that it is indeed a panel moulding. The difficult part is finding this bit or moulding. It isn’t just a simple base cap. It has 2 steps at the bottom which is what I really like about this particular moulding.

View redSLED's profile


790 posts in 1857 days

#7 posted 04-02-2014 02:02 PM

Looks like 1-3/4” wide “colonial” door stop moulding raised up 1/8”-1/4” – no need to spend extra $ on fancy moulding to get that profile.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

View noone's profile


583 posts in 2237 days

#8 posted 04-02-2014 07:41 PM

redSled- Would you mind providing an example? Not surprisingly, i’m having a hard time visualizing what you are referring to.

Are you saying it is just your basic run of the mill doorstop like this?-

I’m not seeing it…....


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics