|Forum topic by Chris208||posted 03-29-2014 09:24 PM||1200 views||0 times favorited||21 replies|
03-29-2014 09:24 PM
I have once again scored a great tool at a great price thanks to Craigslist, and a job that allows me the flexibility to leave in the middle of the day to go look at tools.
3 Fridays ago, I was looking at my local Craigslist and saw a 4 post planer listed for $50. I immediately called the seller and asked if I could come look at it. He agreed. I asked my boss if it was ok if I take off for a little bit to go check it out, and she was cool with it, so off I went.
What I found when I arrived was a 1982 rockwell 13 inch planer. It was not in great condition, and had no plug so I couldn’t test it before buying. Still, I thought for $50, I could sell the motor and sell the planer for parts or scrap for way more than I was giving, so I bought it. I had to borrow a truck to get it home, so I didn’t pick it until the following day. This thing weighs about 400 lbs, so I knew I needed to come up with a plan for moving it, or the guys helping me might never help me again.
I built the equivalent is a medical backboard, with hand holds and slots cut for ratcheting tie downs. We simply walked it over to the bed of the truck, and tipped it in. We repeated this in reverse when we got it to my house. It was the easiest tool move I’ve ever done, despite being the heaviest. I love it when a plan comes together!
With it in my garage, I stated disassembling and cleaning the machine, so I could figure out how much it was going to take to get this thing running. The table and posts were rusted, but not too badly, and there was a lot of old grease to deal with. It took a few hours to get it cleaned up.
I spun everything by hand and listened to the bearings. The were quiet, which was a positive sign. I replaced the gearbox oil, and greased the chains.
Next I built a 25’ 10 gauge cord for it, so I could run it to my dryer outlet. This was my first 220v tool, and I don’t have 220 in my garage.
I put it back together, plugged in, and flipped the switch.
No popped circuit breaker, no smoke, no nothing.
I pulled the cover off the switch box and immediately saw the problem, my connections between the cord and the switch had come loose. Phew! I reconnected everything, and hit the switch, this time the machine roared to life.
As it ran, I noticed that the chain that drives the feed rollers was climbing one of the sprockets. The feed roller sprockets were no co planer. After looking at the pics I took during disassembly, I noticed that I had put the infeed roller sprocket on backwards. The chain had caused some damage to the teeth of the sprocket, too.
I took it apart and flipped the sprocket over. I put it back together, and this time all is well.
Runs like a top. This thing is all cast iron, and steel, with very few things that could break with my hobby useage. It should be a good worker for years to come.
All told I spent about $140 on the planer with over half of that ($77) going towards the new cord and plug. The rest was for lubricants and a couple pieces of hardware. Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.
No I can sell my little Delta Lunchbox planer. I bet I can get $150 for it.
Now I know you all don’t believe anything without pictures, so here she is: