What is This?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by WoodyMO posted 03-29-2014 02:02 AM 1312 views 0 times favorited 14 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View WoodyMO's profile


6 posts in 2235 days

03-29-2014 02:02 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question router

This item was given to me and said to be some kind of router attachment. The black metal plate is attached to a cable which is wound around the white nylon gear on the end. Rotating the gear causes the black metal plate to slide along the shaft. The attached metal dial is numbered 1 through 24 and can be rotated independently by releasing a pin in the nylon gear. Does anyone have any idea what it is and how it’s used? Thanks for any info.

14 replies so far

View LyallAndSons's profile


66 posts in 2624 days

#1 posted 03-29-2014 02:07 AM

I remember seeing something like this some time ago but can’t remember where. I’m almost sure it was at a show? I think it’s used to make flutes or spirals but, again, I don’t remember for sure. The router mounts to the black plate and the stock goes in the center. Sort of like mounting in a lathe. There should be some means to crank it and it advances the router as it turns the stock all at the same time.

-- Lyall & Sons Woodsmiths...Custom handcrafted woodwork since 1989

View gamygeezer's profile


166 posts in 1612 days

#2 posted 03-29-2014 02:07 AM

Looks like a fluting jig for round bed posts. The work goes between the head stock with the dial and that pointed screw on the movable tail. Would produce “rope” posts.


-- What's a vibrant young guy like me doing in a broken down old body like this?

View BurlyBob's profile


5555 posts in 2292 days

#3 posted 03-29-2014 02:08 AM

I’m gonna bet it’s a very, very, very low grade version of a Legacy ornamental mill. I even bet it was made in China! Good luck finding parts or an instruction manuel ! Also a good thing you didn’t drop any money for it.

View mtenterprises's profile


933 posts in 2720 days

#4 posted 03-29-2014 02:10 AM

Spiral cutter machine uses a router. These were once sold by Sears, forget what the trade name was.

-- See pictures on Flickr - And visit my Facebook page -

View HerbC's profile


1764 posts in 2886 days

#5 posted 03-29-2014 02:11 AM

That is a Craftsman Router Crafter. It is an “attachment” for a router that allows you to produce various “ornamental” turnings, much like a lathe. They were marketed in the 70’s (I even had one but never produced anything, was a 99% Club member even then…). You might want to look at this site which is devoted to what you can do with one…

Good Luck!

Be Careful!


-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!"

View a1Jim's profile


117120 posts in 3604 days

#6 posted 03-29-2014 02:12 AM

Bob’s got it right I don’t recall it’s name but it was made by sears you connect your router to it to make spiral turnings.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

1325 posts in 1975 days

#7 posted 03-29-2014 02:20 AM

I don’t know if it is something I personally would use, but I see the beginnings of an awesome router sled for flattening slabs / cutting boards

View redSLED's profile


790 posts in 1919 days

#8 posted 03-29-2014 02:29 AM

Ever try to bb-gun shoot the moving duck at the amusement park to win a prize? Well, the duck goes on that rail gizmo.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

View cabmaker's profile


1735 posts in 2836 days

#9 posted 03-29-2014 03:25 AM

Its no legacy mill, but i have used mine quite a lot for hollow spirals, etc. Its pretty slow but it does what it was designed to do.

You can’t beat the price on it.

I use magnate bits on a pc690

View cabmaker's profile


1735 posts in 2836 days

#10 posted 03-29-2014 03:27 AM

I don’t see the hand crank in your pic. Did you get one with it?

View darthford's profile


608 posts in 1951 days

#11 posted 03-29-2014 04:00 AM

That’s a Gizmo Pro 4400

View dawsonbob's profile


2886 posts in 1782 days

#12 posted 03-29-2014 04:02 AM

Are you sure it’s not the Gizmo Pro 4400C with the left handed knobs? They’re pretty similar, you know.

-- Mistakes are what pave the road to perfection

View WoodyMO's profile


6 posts in 2235 days

#13 posted 03-29-2014 04:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for the info. Herbc is correct, it’s called a Craftsman Router Crafter. I found it on as Model 72025250. Of course there are no parts available but I did download a manual. I’ll have to go back to where I got it and take another look in the attic for any other parts. Who makes the Gizmo Pro 4400C? Again, thanks to all.

View HerbC's profile


1764 posts in 2886 days

#14 posted 03-29-2014 04:12 PM


If you’re going to think about doing something with the Router Crafter, you might want to try to win this lot at ebay. It includes the drive adapter which lets you work with longer spindles.

Good Luck!

Be Careful!


-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics