|Forum topic by TheWoodenOyster||posted 03-20-2014 02:20 PM||1164 views||0 times favorited||24 replies|
03-20-2014 02:20 PM
So, I am looking to get a new saw blade. I read Knotscott’s ABCs of Picking Saw Blades to help me decide on the style of blade I want to get. (THANKS so much Knotscott for your labor-intensive input, it is greatly appreciated by all of us!). To give you an idea of my needs and my situation, I’ll tell you a little about what I am usually doing in the shop.
I have a 3 HP early 90’s unisaw that has never lacked power even with 12/4 oak. I have found that many of my projects thus far have included at least 8/4 stock if not larger, so I do take advantage of the power of the saw and I deal with some hefty pieces of wood. I would say about 65% of the cuts I do are rip cuts and the other 35% or so are crosscuts with my sled. I work with pretty hard wood for the most part – Walnut, Hard Maple, Oak, Ash, Jatoba, Wenge. I ask a lot of my table saw and put it thru the ringer. Occasionally I’ll give it a break and feed it some 4/4 cherry, but that is about as easy as it gets in my shop. I would say cleanliness of glue line rips is important to me and repectable, but not perfect, crosscuts are also important. I have no problem using a block plane to clean up end grain if needed. As far as table saw care goes, I cleaned it up very well when I got it, but haven’t messed with it since. So, when it comes to maintenance and set up, I am probably somewhere in the middle of the pack. I am not a rocket scientist, but I don’t cut ceramic tile through my table saw either. I am looking for a blade in the $50ish dollar range, but could go up into the $60’s if need be. I’ll save for the $100 range once I see what the $50 range looks like and learn from that.
Hopefully, that gave y’all a good idea of what my needs are and will help you give me good opinions. From reading the ABCs, I am thinking that a 40 or 50 tooth, full kerf, ATBR blade is what I am looking for. These are the ones I have found that fulfill those requirements. Any opinions on these three? Or opinions on others I should check out?
Thanks in advance for the input everyone. And Thanks again to Knotscott for giving us all such an awesome article on picking saw blades. It is people like you that keep me coming back and giving back to the community at LJs.
-- The Wood Is Your Oyster