|Forum topic by ChuckV||posted 03-12-2014 11:44 PM||902 views||0 times favorited||4 replies|
03-12-2014 11:44 PM
I am making another Jefferson/Underhill book box like these:
This one is birch. After cutting the dovetails, I used a router to create a rabbet to accommodate the back. While using a chisel to clean up the ends of the rabbet, I made a small crack in one of the pins. It was very cold in my shop, so I brought that piece into the house to let it warm before repairing the cracked pin.
Then some other things came up and I didn’t get back to the shop for about two weeks. During this time, the repaired piece was in the house and the other three were out in the cold shop.
The next step was to glue the four pieces of the box together. Fortunately, I decided to try a dry run before doing the glue-up. The first joint that I tried to fit just didn’t go together. I couldn’t figure out what was going on, since everything fit just two weeks earlier. Then the light bulb flickered on. The piece that was in the house for a week shrunk.
My usual rule of thumb for tangential movement is 1/8” over 18”, mostly because this is easy to remember. These boards are 11” wide and the difference in width was a little over 1/16”, right in line with my estimate. Here is the difference when the opposite edges are flush:
I brought all the pieces into the house and waited. I checked them every few days. It was really interesting to watch the slow and steady progress as the three pieces that were left outside shrunk to match the one that had been inside. It took about 10 days for the widths to equalize. I got everything glued together today.
-- “And the products of wealth push you along on the bow wave of their spiritless undying selves.” ― I. Anderson