Dang! I Broke a Screw!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by MT_Stringer posted 166 days ago 571 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View MT_Stringer's profile


1832 posts in 1858 days

166 days ago

Topic tags/keywords: tip maple drill press

I am in the process of building four base cabinets for a wet bar project.

I predrilled all of the holes for the Blumotion soft close hinges and had four of the six doors installed for test fit when it happened. A screw simply broke in two pieces just below the head!

That about ruined my day. After a fair amount of fussin’ and cussin’, I decided to make an attempt at removing it. I have several plug cutters but I couldn’t find the 1/4 incher. So, off to the big box store I went. I made it just in time before they closed the doors for today.

Armed with a new 1/4 inch plug cutter, I mounted it in the drill press and proceeded to cut the plug around the screw threads embedded in the hard maple door frame.

Then, I cut a 3/8” plug and glued it in the hole. Hopefully I will be back in business after a little touch up sanding tomorrow. the hinge will cover up the repair job. It will be good as new. I think when I pre-drill the hole again, I will make it a tad larger.

Dang it anyway.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

10 replies so far

View firefighterontheside's profile


3772 posts in 483 days

#1 posted 166 days ago

Cheap screws, not your fault. Nice fix though.

-- Bill M. I love my job as a firefighter, but nothing gives me the satisfaction of running my hand over a project that I have built and just finished sanding.

View Handtooler's profile


1071 posts in 759 days

#2 posted 165 days ago

You’re certainly on top of the fix! Great save.

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343

View jumbojack's profile


1176 posts in 1251 days

#3 posted 165 days ago

man that kind of thing just chaps my hide. Wax those screws. it does not matter what kind of wax, it all seems to work. Some use toilet rings, some paraffin. I use beeswax church candle stubs. I have dozens of them all over the shop. I use em on plane bottoms, for the miter bar on the table saw, on hand saw plates. Wax on wax off, no broken screws.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View a1Jim's profile


112011 posts in 2204 days

#4 posted 165 days ago

What a pain ,a pre drill and a little wax on the screws sometimes helps.

These can help too.

-- Custom furniture

View Greg's profile


281 posts in 1500 days

#5 posted 165 days ago

A fine solution regardless. Nobody will ever know (Except us) just what a fine woodworker you really are!

-- You don't have a custom made heirloom fly fishing Net?

View Picklehead's profile


567 posts in 556 days

#6 posted 165 days ago

I’M TELLING!!!!!!!!!

That’s one of the things I like about this site. The next time I break a screw (or maybe some semi-unrelated disaster that this helps me with), I’ll have YOUR experience and ingenuity to draw from. Nice save!

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

View Roger's profile


14318 posts in 1431 days

#7 posted 165 days ago

Yep, pre-drill and wax. I keep an old cookie tin with a toilet wax ring for screwing. A little dad el do ya. Very nice fix tho. Good thinking.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe.

View bigblockyeti's profile


1469 posts in 347 days

#8 posted 165 days ago

I was pulling apart some old cabinet (not as old as I thought) and the screw holes for the hidden hinges were plastic inserts. I know this is becoming more common practice on mass production doors, but didn’t realize how long ago this had been done as these doors have to be close to 25 years old.

View madts's profile


1245 posts in 966 days

#9 posted 165 days ago

Nice save. Ditto the comment on the wax. Bar soap is also good. That way you can wash out your mouth after all the swearing you must have done :)

-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

View MT_Stringer's profile


1832 posts in 1858 days

#10 posted 165 days ago

Now for an update. I have made the repair and all is good to go. I am now back where I started about 12 hours ago. :-(

After a good night’s sleep, I masked off the area around the plug so I wouldn’t mess up the other parts of the frame.

Then I used my ROS with 80 grit pad and sanded the plug flush with the frame.

Yes, I broke out the soap. Irish Spring to the rescue! :-) And I drilled the pilot holes a little larger.

After reinstalling the hinge, there is no indication of the repair.

That makes me very happy. Ready for stain.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope this helps others that get in the same bind I was in.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase