oil change

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by stripit posted 02-14-2014 07:45 PM 1153 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View stripit's profile


25 posts in 2008 days

02-14-2014 07:45 PM

Topic tags/keywords: dc 380 planer oil

Hi. I took the knifes out of Delta Dc 380 to have them sharpened, and decided to clean it up good while I was at it.
I bought this used so this is the frst time I’ve had it apart. Went out and bought gear oil, pulled the drain plug got most of the old oil in a can,put the plug back in. Now I need to put the new oil in. The filler is way up under the top of the planner, I can not get the new oil in. Any suggestions? Also while I have the blades out is there anything else that I should do?

Thanks Joel

9 replies so far

View Grandpa's profile


3259 posts in 2639 days

#1 posted 02-14-2014 07:58 PM

you can buy a little pump with small tubes on it. I think Wal-Mart for under $10. Maybe it was ACE but they are available. They pump up and them pump down. Good luck.

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

4951 posts in 2457 days

#2 posted 02-14-2014 08:17 PM

Here's what I used on mine (same thing Grandpa mentioned, I think). I had to put a short piece of clear tube on the end of it, but I filled it with the gear oil and then squirted it into the gear box. Whoever had the idea to put the fill opening there should have to visit all of us and fill the damn thing themselves. I linked the Amazon pic of the gizmo, but Wal Mart does stock them, and then a small piece of (I think) 1/4” plastic tube. I think Wal Mart may be cheaper on those things.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View Ocelot's profile


1956 posts in 2602 days

#3 posted 02-14-2014 08:20 PM

Yeah. It’s a pain, isn’t it! My Griz planer is like that too.

View Picklehead's profile


1041 posts in 1893 days

#4 posted 02-14-2014 09:56 PM

Call a local pharmacy and ask if they have a “60 ml catheter tip syringe” (or anything like it). Shouldn’t cost any more than $2. It holds 2 ounces, and a piece of clear tubing from lowes or HD will fit on the end and allow you to pump it anywhere you like. It was the only thing I could find to use to fill a tilt/trim motor on my outboard.

-- You've got to be smarter than the tree.

View bbc557ci's profile


595 posts in 2038 days

#5 posted 02-14-2014 10:34 PM

Pic of your dilemma would help. That said, how about a turkey baster? Would that reach far enough? Prolly just a couple of bucks at a ‘mart

-- Bill, central where near the "big apple"

View stripit's profile


25 posts in 2008 days

#6 posted 02-16-2014 07:33 PM

Hi. I’m back, project complete. I now have sharp knives, and clean oil in my gear box.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes you need a tube 1/4 ID 3/8 OD. I bought a quart of 85/140 (really thick stuff) with a small spout on it, if you cut it right the tip will fit in the tube. Also found if you warm it up, pan of boiling water for about 5 mins., it will flow a lot faster.

Thanks again Joel

View bigblockyeti's profile


5092 posts in 1685 days

#7 posted 02-16-2014 07:52 PM

The warming I’ve found really helps with whatever you’re putting heavy oil into. Refilling my rear axle, I had to do the same thing with the oil bottle due to limited clearance. Taking way too long with cold oil resulted in squeezing the bottle too hard without being able see the oil going into the axle, it caused the tube to fall off the end of the spout and made one heck of a mess before I realized what had happened.

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3549 days

#8 posted 02-16-2014 08:03 PM

Cheap solution which I use in my engineering shops power hacksaw,get one of those little cheap pump type oil cans with a flexible hose type tip, and fill up and fire away. It is so easy you’ll wonder why it never occured to you sooner.I struggled with a hyperdermic syringe for ages til;l it came to me. LOL Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Ocelot's profile


1956 posts in 2602 days

#9 posted 02-21-2014 09:00 PM

I think I actually used something called a “transfer pump” for my planer. You can get them at any auto-parts store, or at harbor freight.

The harbor frieght one says it’s for “low viscosity fluids”. I can’t remember where I got mine, but it worked OK for the gear oil.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics