LumberJocks

Trees fallen because of ice.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by davidmackv posted 02-13-2014 03:38 PM 964 views 0 times favorited 15 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View davidmackv's profile

davidmackv

317 posts in 1113 days


02-13-2014 03:38 PM

I have some trees that have fallen, because of the ice storms that came through. I lost two 40 foot pines. What would you do with these trees? I don’t ever use pine for firewood, because the high sap content can burn your house down. Are they worth getting processed for wood working wood, or is pine so cheap it is best just to get someone to haul them off?

I also lost a 40 foot maple, but I am going to take it to the sawmill we have locally and get some boards.

Thanks
David


15 replies so far

View PineChopper's profile

PineChopper

187 posts in 1662 days


#1 posted 02-13-2014 04:04 PM

My chainsaw and I would be in heaven. I’d be looking for logs to build something out of.
99% of my firewood is pine and I’ve never had a problem with it. My wood stove and fireplace are my only source of heat. The other 1% of firewood is either oak, mulberry, or eucalyptus.

Do you plan to replant some more trees?

View PineChopper's profile

PineChopper

187 posts in 1662 days


#2 posted 02-13-2014 04:07 PM

My chainsaw and I would be in heaven. I’d be looking for logs to build something out of.
99% of my firewood is pine and I’ve never had a problem with it. My wood stove and fireplace are my only source of heat. The other 1% of firewood is either oak, mulberry, or eucalyptus.

Do you plan to replant some more trees?

View davidmackv's profile

davidmackv

317 posts in 1113 days


#3 posted 02-13-2014 04:12 PM

Interesting. I have never burnt pine, because my family and friends always told me it was a fire hazard , burnt too fast and wasn’t worth the effort. Well, I will just have to cut em up, dry em out and find out for myself. Thanks for the advice.

Actually I have 40 pines running across the back of my property to block the highway and noise and I lost two of them. I think they were planted too close together to start with, so probably not. My Father In Law and his father planted them over 30 years ago. Heck they may be 60 foot tall the 40 was just a guestimate.

View b2rtch's profile

b2rtch

4822 posts in 2513 days


#4 posted 02-13-2014 04:27 PM

I burn pine in my stove all the time.
Make sure it is well season.
In France it is illegal to burn pine in a stove or fireplace and if you get fire , the insurance will not cover you.

All pines: are not equal.
I love Douglas Fir to make furnitures

-- Bert

View helluvawreck's profile (online now)

helluvawreck

23177 posts in 2332 days


#5 posted 02-13-2014 04:32 PM

I hope I don’t loose any. I have trees all around my house. We’re in North Georgia so we got mostly snow. We did get some ice but hopefully we’ll make it through today without loosing any power or trees. Of course my main concern would be a tree coming down on my shop or the house.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View bigblockyeti's profile

bigblockyeti

3668 posts in 1186 days


#6 posted 02-13-2014 04:40 PM

If you have multiple mills not too far away, having them cut up might be a worth while venture. See if they charge by the cut or by the board foot. The logistics are something to consider as well, if you can haul the wood to the sawyer, that will save a little as well.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

1667 posts in 2089 days


#7 posted 02-13-2014 04:44 PM

I’ve burned pine in my stove for as long as I can remember. Clean the chimney once a year or so and you are golden. If the trunks are substantial, I would mill the straightest ones, saving all the branches and crooked or knot infested trunk areas for the stove/fireplace.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View bondogaposis's profile

bondogaposis

4034 posts in 1816 days


#8 posted 02-13-2014 04:45 PM

If the pines are full limbs and hence the wood will have a lot of knots I wouldn’t bother. On the other hand if it is clear I would consider having it milled.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View davidmackv's profile

davidmackv

317 posts in 1113 days


#9 posted 02-13-2014 04:50 PM

The bottom trunks are clear of limbs for at least 15 feet and are straight as an arrow. My sawmill charges .50 a BF to saw and an extra .50 BF to kiln dry.

View b2rtch's profile

b2rtch

4822 posts in 2513 days


#10 posted 02-13-2014 04:56 PM

Save it, there is nothing like using your own lumber to build something.
I used to have my own sawmill

-- Bert

View richardwootton's profile

richardwootton

1699 posts in 1420 days


#11 posted 02-13-2014 05:01 PM

Dang $1.00 per bd. fot. sounds a bit on the steep side

-- Richard, Hot Springs, Ar -- Galoot In Training

View bigblockyeti's profile

bigblockyeti

3668 posts in 1186 days


#12 posted 02-13-2014 05:27 PM

That seems ok for cutting, little steep for drying, guess it depend on when you need it and how much space you have to dry it yourself properly.

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

1592 posts in 2324 days


#13 posted 02-13-2014 09:30 PM

Have the straight, clear pine logs milled into lumber. Do not pay to have them dried. Sticker stack them outside and air dry them. It will make excellent general use lumber. Should take less than a year to air dry. Be sure to cover the stacks to prevent exposure to sun and rain but don’t use plastic or tarps. Use old roofing tin if you can get it cheap, or old plywood.

Good Luck!

Be Careful!

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

View Don W's profile

Don W

17967 posts in 2033 days


#14 posted 02-13-2014 09:35 PM

I saw pine. If you can get it sawn for 30 or 40 cents a foot that’s about 1/3 the retail.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.net

View davidmackv's profile

davidmackv

317 posts in 1113 days


#15 posted 02-13-2014 10:30 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. It is much appreciated.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com