What is this turning tool?! What's it for?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by Thuzmund posted 02-06-2014 05:18 AM 1223 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Thuzmund's profile


148 posts in 1596 days

02-06-2014 05:18 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question turning mystery tool

I got started turning by buying an old Craftsman Companion and a box of tools from a nice Swiss bloke down the road. One by one, I have been learning about the tools and what they do. But one, I just can’t track down online.

No markings, of course, and a home-made handle. I’ve included pics.

Ideas: For shaping the lips of bowls? Or making “overhanging” lip on the inside of a bowl? It seems like it would be good at reproducing a specific sized profile.

How I’ve used it so far: hollowing out a bowl, moving from center to edge. It’s actually pretty darn good at that, but I doubt that’s the use because I’ve heard you should always hollow bowls from the edge to the center. This method ensures that the bowl is still balanced—you won’t be carving out the wall/side without the stabilizing mass of wood left in the center. But it really eats up the wood when I use it this way—quite satisfying.

Any thoughts or even This Old House-style musings would be appreciated! If I can learn the name of this tool, I can search for product manuals, how to use, how to sharpen, etc. Many thanks for sharing your experience!

-- Here to learn

5 replies so far

View William's profile


9949 posts in 2809 days

#1 posted 02-07-2014 12:56 PM

Looking at it, I’m wondering if there is some kind of bit that attaches by some means to the cutout area near the end if the shaft.
I use an oland tool on some bowl hollowing. It used a bit through a hole with a set screw holding it in place. I’ve seen a tool similar to your somewhere once. It had some kind of funny looking attachment that went in a groove near the end. This attachment held an assortment of carbide and HSS bits.


View hairy's profile


2656 posts in 3499 days

#2 posted 02-07-2014 02:05 PM

I think your first idea is right. It looks like it would serve as a scraper to form a bead in a bowl or platter rim. You can form a scraper to whatever shape you need. Just my guess.

-- My reality check bounced...

View Wildwood's profile


2300 posts in 2102 days

#3 posted 02-07-2014 02:08 PM

View AMMOSHORT's profile


23 posts in 1568 days

#4 posted 02-07-2014 03:42 PM

I think Wildwood is on to something.

View Thuzmund's profile


148 posts in 1596 days

#5 posted 02-07-2014 05:37 PM

Wildwood, thanks so much for that link. I think that’s very likely the tool! Now that I have a keyword to search for, I can learn more about proper use.

PS – like I said, this tool has been effective at hollowing the inside of bowls. I bet a person could make a knockoff if they tried. So I am recommending others to explore this if the tool is as new to you as it is to me!

-- Here to learn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics