Wiring question

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Loren posted 02-06-2014 01:56 AM 1080 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3888 days

02-06-2014 01:56 AM

I’m setting up a new phase converter.

I need to pull 2 live lines off it. One will be connected to a 3hp
dust collector. The other will be switched around to different

The phase converter panel has one set of outputs.

What’s the preferred way to pull these two lines off that
one set of outputs?

Do I insert a pair of wire ends into each output?

Do put in another box and use wire nuts to make 3
way junctures?

Something else?

8 replies so far

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18425 posts in 3916 days

#1 posted 02-06-2014 04:18 AM

Code only allows for one wire under a lug. A j box would be the proper way if a sub panel isn’t necessary..

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View jonah's profile


1972 posts in 3539 days

#2 posted 02-06-2014 04:22 AM

What he said. A junction box with wire nutted triples of each wire.

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3888 days

#3 posted 02-06-2014 04:24 AM


View REO's profile


929 posts in 2314 days

#4 posted 02-06-2014 01:00 PM

Loren you can buy multitaps for the connection lugs that will still comply with code. cheaper and cleaner than another box.

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3888 days

#5 posted 02-06-2014 03:34 PM

Is that something I can get at Home Depot or Radio Shack?

If so, do you know what employees would call them?

Those ones on the data sheet seem to be quite small.

View Jim Baldwin's profile

Jim Baldwin

56 posts in 2598 days

#6 posted 02-06-2014 07:02 PM

Proper workshop installation would include a 3 phase sub distribution panel with circuit breakers for each machine. Do it right or don’t do it at all. 220V 3 phase can knock you into the netherworld.

So the phase converter is wired to the sub panel only (get it?) It’s also a good idea for a rotary converter to have a double-throw switch between the main power source and the converter. It takes a lot of start-up amps to get these types of converters rolling. Your main panel will also need a dedicated circuit breaker large enough to handle the load. Wiring between panels and out to the machines or wall receptacles, is in conduit and junction boxes (not loose wires or cords laying on concrete).

I don’t know much about static converters and I’m not an electrician. You’ll probably have to go to an electric supply store for all the 3 phase stuff. When in doubt, call an electrician out

-- Jim Baldwin/

View REO's profile


929 posts in 2314 days

#7 posted 02-06-2014 08:09 PM

These are available in many sizes from diferent manufacturers I just clicked on the first one I found to give ou an idea of what was available. I have bought them at the big box stores in the past for double tapping a meter socket (to code) most electrical supply stores have them on hand. whst size wire are you fastening to and what is the stud size on the output terminal. some of these are made to go into the existing lug with a pin or rod and then split into to terminal points. take a pic of the lugs you have.Technically if you wire it to a plug there is nothing past the plug that is covered by code. For safety the converter should have a magnetic starter so that it drops out when there is a power loss and has to be started again when power is restored. also each machine should have a magnetic starter for the same reason. Any form of overload control: three phase panel, local fused disconnect at each machine or one fused disconnect at the output rated for the wire you are using. A properly rated protection devise at the output of your RPC.

So in your case wire to the breaker in your panel for the input of the RPC include a mag starter for the RPC if one is not already provided. An outlet or properly rated fused disconnect for the output of the RPC (distribution wire size). A 3 phase Fused disconnect for the DC at the dc and a piece of SO cord for the general use side. have Most 3 ph industrial machines come with a disconnect on them or can be had for peanuts used.
It is that same as a typical 110 or 220 distribution circuit you don’t have to protect each outlet for the tool being used just the distribution circuit.
What size is you RPC?

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3888 days

#8 posted 02-06-2014 08:42 PM


I had a 5hp before but I needed to upgrade to run a small
wide belt sander.

I got it wired and running this morning. Everything runs.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics