Key hole hanger tool

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by daves1 posted 02-04-2014 03:34 PM 3200 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View daves1's profile


184 posts in 2602 days

02-04-2014 03:34 PM

Topic tags/keywords: hangers holes question

Does anyone know of a tool that will make the key hole shape for hanging pictures wood projects. Or does anyone have any ideas on how to make these holes?


9 replies so far

View jmartel's profile


7520 posts in 1986 days

#1 posted 02-04-2014 03:54 PM

-- The quality of one's woodworking is directly related to the amount of flannel worn.

View HerbC's profile


1685 posts in 2695 days

#2 posted 02-04-2014 03:58 PM

What you want to do can be done with a router and a keyhole bit. MLCS has one here.

I understand that it works better if you first use a standard 1/4” straight bit to rough in the slot, to the depth of the finished hole, then use the slot cutter to bore the larger hole and make the slot cut. You have to remember to return the bit to the large hole opening before raising it…

Good Luck!

Be Careful!


-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!"

View oldnovice's profile


6428 posts in 3203 days

#3 posted 02-04-2014 06:02 PM

I have the one like below from Eagle America.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

2577 posts in 2757 days

#4 posted 02-05-2014 01:36 AM

I have one I use that is like the one Oldnovice mentions. I use it to hang plaques that I make. I set it over the running router in the table and move it as far as I want to the left and then lift it out there. I do it in all one step giving me a slot with larger round holes at each end of the slot. I put it horizontal in the plaque or intarsia so that the user can adjust the item left or right to balance it to hang level.

-- No PHD, but I have a GED and my DD 214

View hairy's profile


2583 posts in 3368 days

#5 posted 02-05-2014 01:53 AM

Here’s another option.

I think I got them at Lowe’s.

-- My reality check bounced...

View Whiskers's profile


389 posts in 1862 days

#6 posted 02-05-2014 02:39 AM

I bought a keyhole bit from someone back when I was ordering stuff anyway but haven’t used it yet. I did need to put some keyhole hangers on some speakers that I wanted to mount fairly flush on a wall and found that Rockler carries metal keyhole brackets in their ever present hardware outlet section for $1 a pair. That may be a better solution depending on your project.

View MalcolmLaurel's profile


272 posts in 1459 days

#7 posted 02-05-2014 02:51 AM

I’ve been doing it in the back of my lamps by hand with a Dremel flex shaft. I start with a 3/8” drill or a carbide cutter to make the hole for the screw head, use a smaller cutter (1/8”) for the smaller slot, then undercut the smaller slot with a 3/8” wheel cutter. The keyhole cutter in a router sounds nicer but it wouldn’t work for me with only the tiniest flat surface to work from.

-- Malcolm Laurel -

View daves1's profile


184 posts in 2602 days

#8 posted 02-05-2014 02:56 AM

Thanks everyone for links and ideas. I know what I need to do. Gotta love this LJ website.

View oldnovice's profile


6428 posts in 3203 days

#9 posted 02-05-2014 03:35 AM

daves1, you and me and a bunch of others!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics