|Forum topic by Sandra||posted 194 days ago||1097 views||0 times favorited||22 replies|
194 days ago
I bought my Rikon 10-325 a year ago and I was fairly happy with it with one exception – I could NOT resaw without significant drift.
I read and read, and then bought a woodslicer blade. My resaw capabilities went from dismal to mediocre at best.
Problem fixed, back to dismal attempts.
Obsessively checked to make sure everything was square to everything else.
More research, watched Band Saw Clinic with Alex Snodgrass video umpteen times. Readjusted guides, etc etc.
Read more about blade tracking, dollar bill method, adjusting the fence to account for drift and then why that was a no-no.
I almost reached the conclusion that my saw was just too wimpy for the job. And then while doing more reading, I read about the difference between drift and twist and the lightbulb went on. My blade tension was still not high enough and was twisting when it started the cut.
With a pile of birdseye maple waiting for me, I went out today determined to get it done. So I cranked up the tension on the blade as high as it would go and gave it a try.
Well shut the front door! It worked. I went from this:
There are still blade marks, but this was a huge piece to deal with. The smaller pieces I tried afterward were very smooth.
So now I’m not just pleased with my Rikon – I’m tickled. The only upgrade was the blade and now I know what the saw is capable of doing. I made enough sawdust today to make up for any previous frustration directed at my bandsaw.
It was a great day.
-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.